Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Boilers - just picked up an old one.

<< < (2/3) > >>

raynerd:
Fair play, understood.

It came with a little wobbler that is in need of attention so it was still worth the few quid I paid for it.

Chris

Brass_Machine:

--- Quote from: craynerd on August 01, 2009, 02:47:14 PM ---Fair play, understood.

It came with a little wobbler that is in need of attention so it was still worth the few quid I paid for it.

Chris

--- End quote ---

Oohh rebuild of a wobbler. I see a project log coming  :)

That will be nice. Trash or shelve the boiler.

Eric

Darren:
Chris,

To expand, my concerns would be, quality of the original boiler and what it's made from. Quality of the solder joints, might have been fine when new, but what of now.

And lastly, general corrosion. You don't know what's been eaten away inside?

I'm guessing that to test you would need a high pressure compressor and gauges to suit. Oh and some sort of safety cage. I doubt our workshop compressors generate high enough pressures? I don't really know, but that's what I would want to do, test it well and above any working pressures before contemplating using it.

I understand boiling water generates some very high pressures when sealed in a container. It takes little extra heat to send it climbing at a frightening rate.

bogstandard:
Darren,

You should never pressure test anything with air. It should always be done hydraulically.
If a boiler bursts when pressure testing, with air, it becomes hundreds of bits of shrapnel. With liquid, a couple of drops and all the pressure is gone.

John

Darren:
Ah yes, obvious now you mention it John....air makes a very good propellant.... :clap:

Good job I can't see myself wanting to carry out such a test init.... :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version