Author Topic: Tailstock Locknut.  (Read 7256 times)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Tailstock Locknut.
« on: July 19, 2009, 05:11:26 AM »
My Chester mini lathe...... I didn`t like the original tailstock domed locking nut.  :scratch:

The spannering part was ok, but oily fingers had difficulty turning the extra 1/4 turn, to allow sliding to the end of m/c bed.

So, I replaced it with a std nut.... 

Time now for an improvement.  :thumbup:

Fits snugly.......

Much better spanner access, when things get close, (most of the time).

I know many people have camlocks etc....... Frankly, I can`t be bothered, this is adequate for my needs...... :D

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Tailstock Locknut.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 06:13:00 AM »
Didn't realise how tight these were for room.

First thing I did with my 'new' lathe about 10 years ago was to take the top slide off and replace it with a big steel packing block.
This has two advantages, one was extra rigidity and the other was I could drop the hight slightly to allow me to use bigger tools.

My take on this was the extra rigidity for 95% of the time soon outweighed not having the taper turning facility.

I haven't lost it as two nuts allow the original top slide to be refitted for the odd taper job, in fact it sits in the cupboard with a normal tool fitted in the original 4 tool holder.

The small cutaway at the back is so the block can travel in front of the tailstock without hitting it.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 06:20:04 AM »
David,
I have an original cam lock on mine...as good as useless....your nut is prob much better.. :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 06:21:56 AM »
What lathe is that John, nice idea btw.... :thumbup: :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 06:24:28 AM »
Darren, that makes me feel much better......  :D

John, that`s a good idea! I rarely use the compound slide.....  :scratch:

Hmmm.......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 10:30:21 AM »
Nice idea.  I've been doing a lot of drilling recently, and that original nut is a pain.  Never thought to raise it above the compound handle; I've been fussing with getting the wrench underneath it.  I may have another project to do.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 02:00:48 PM »
David,

Nice post about an age old problem.

Not everyone likes the new fangled ideas some manufacturers are getting up to, your post will appeal to those people.

I have actually taken a load of bits off my new machine, purely because it restricted my machining methods too much.

John

Offline Mike K

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 02:29:43 PM »
Darren,

What was wrong with your camlock?  I have a original camlock on my mini-lathe and can't imagine doing without it.

The only improvement I'll likely do is to make a new clamping plate that's the full width since the original is only clamping about 1/8" on the right side.

But I did have to make a new locking lever and the hub it goes into.  Really bad design...the plastic end cap of the lever has M8 thread, but the hub end (that takes all of the force) was M6 and wound up easily bent.

Mike

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 02:57:38 PM »
Hi Mike,

I found that no matter how much you adjust my camlock it just does not clamp tight enough. Put the pressure on and the tailstock slides.

One day I will take it apart and see what may be improved...

Offline Mike K

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 03:50:37 PM »
Darren,

Oh, this is the mini-lathe of "Fixing Darren's lathe" fame.  Heh heh.

I do, though, occasionally have trouble with clamping pressure not being enough.  I suspect it's one of two things (or both): sloppy paint on the underside of the bed ways or the clamping plate not being full width.

Mike

bogstandard

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 03:52:29 PM »
You should have told me while I had it here Darren, I am sure I could have done something to cure it.

John

Offline Mike K

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 04:04:22 PM »
John,

I didn't mean to imply a poor job.  We're all jealous over on the Yahoo 7x12 lathe group of the treatment Darrent's lathe got.  These small lathes are pretty good, but need a bit of fixing here and there.

Mike

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 04:20:37 PM »
Mike,
I can tell you this much. My 7x12 lathe was a pretty poor example, very sad indeed. So bad that for about a year I was using it as a convenient polishing machine and not a lot else.

Since it has been Bogitised I'm using it more and more. In fact it's now a real pleasure to use. Having seen what John was capable of and the skill this man possesses is the root cause of my current illness. Iron hoarding....!!

A good case of monkey see monkey try....

I shall be forever indebted to this mans generosity and patience.

John, you far exceeded in dipping into your generosity bucket at the time. I guess I'm now a little nearer in being capable in having a look at it and coming up with something.  :thumbup:

bogstandard

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 04:56:39 PM »
Mike,

I know you meant nothing by it, in fact it is my fault for being so lax, and only doing half the job.

Just to reiterate what Darren has said, his lathe was a very sad one indeed, and took a lot of chopping to get it something like, in fact, it really should have had the casting thrown, it was that bent and bowed, but all turned out well in the end, and it does a fair job.

I'm glad a few of the Yahoo lads were entertained by my antics.

Bogs