Author Topic: Makita Chop Saw - just got one and a huge thumbs up!  (Read 15730 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Makita Chop Saw - just got one and a huge thumbs up!
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 07:50:16 AM »
The mill is there if you need to cut dovetails too....but only if you own your own mill cos I don't want any newbies crashing my baby..... again use your own cutter or make a group buy etc....:thumbup:

lol, I own a mill but could probably quite succesfully crash yours lol  :lol:

I`ve just been out actually and purchased 5 new 14" steel blades for my chop saw, the other was getting worn. Hadn`t used it much but was a bit clogged from where I had previously been incorrectly cutting ally. I`m in no rush so I`ll see how I get on with them, perhaps cut an inch then let it cool for a good while.

The boxford seems to be cutting it OK, it certainly started to get into it once the top layer came off. I don`t know if it helps identify it, but once the top layer came off (like little splinters) it started curling off in small ribbons and then with a fine cut, curling off in very long ribbons. I`ve put a file to it like you said and it cuts into it, a good few seconds with a rought file and I was starting to create a flat spot. I don`t know if that helps identify it. Just one thing, I did notice a few small sparks flying when I was cutting it on my lathe towards the end - I think it was getting a little hot!

I was planning on getting my shaper up and running in time for this but it will have to be on the mill as the shaper is proving to be more of a pain in the ass then I was expecting. I got the 1ph motor but trying to remove the pully and replace with the original pully is hard work!! I think I may need to create some brackets. Anyway a bit offtopic.

I let you know how it goes. 

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 10:27:44 AM »
Darren, I wouldn't mind a few flywheel blanks! I'm in Wales next week but unfortunately South Wales and I've heard it's quite a big place  :lol:

When I've sold my horizontal milling machine i should have some funds for a power hacksaw, rotary table and maybe tool post! Might have to make the tool post though  :proj: I have a dovetail cutter but can't remember what angle!

How is the pulley fastened Chris? usually a key way and grub screw I think.

Nick

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 11:23:48 AM »
Nick, and all others reading...

The offer is there, my hacksaw deals with 4" dia quite well, the biggest I've tried so far but I gather it'll go to 6".

The only real issue is getting stuff back and forth. Yep Wales is a big place sure enough and I'm a long way from South.

Maybe we can form a chain between visitors in various areas. From here to Chester is easy enough, and from there to Manchester might be do-able? But it would be slow.

Only other option would to be buy a bar and sell it by the inch, so to speak, but have you seen the price of a 3" dia 3mt long bar....... :bugeye: enough to make your hair curl....

There must be others on here dotted around that can help out, other saws I mean.....speak up...........help each other out...... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 12:04:41 PM »
Darren,

Mine has already been put to use by other people, and anyone else who is passing is quite welcome to have a cutting party, anytime.

Bogs

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 12:13:14 PM »
Mine sais it can do 4 " most i've done is 60mm (Bandsaw not hacksaw)

Im in Ludlow offer is open if it would help anybody?

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2009, 01:38:49 PM »
Comment on the chopsaw aluminum (aluminium) cutting subject:

It was mentioned on another forum that aluminum plate could be cut with carbide blades intended for use with wood cutting "Skil" saws, chop saws, etc.  I bought a $20 used Sears Craftsman compound miter (chop) saw and then picked up this 10" 80T carbide blade for it on sale for $15. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38544

I needed to cut some usable chunks off a 2"x4"x36" 6061 bar I was given (!!!) and decided to try it.  Unbelievable results!  I clamped the bar solidly to the saw base and it cut smoothly through it like butter.  I wore a welding jacket, ear plugs and a face shield because a torrent of hot chips flew everywhere.  The noise was incredible as well. 

The cuts were vastly quicker, smoother, and squarer than my bandsaw could ever cut.  I'm not sure what the saw's rpm is but I think at least 4000 rpm.  I cut 6 3" chunks off the bar and examined the blade when finished and there was no damage at all.  This was my own personal experience...YMMV.
Milton in Tennesee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."