Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Drilling around the circumference without RT

<< < (2/5) > >>

Darren:

--- Quote from: craynerd on July 08, 2009, 06:24:43 AM --- do you think this will be more accurate than marking out and drilling as I suggested?

Chris

--- End quote ---

Definitely !!

And a whole lot easier....

Here I'm using a hex to make six holes, but it could just have easily been 3.

sbwhart:
You can also use a gear thats devisable by 3   :- 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24 etc etc

But Darrens suggestion of hex bar is probibly best/cheepest.

or you could buy one of these

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/5C-Fixtures

Stew

Darren:
I'd like a spin indexer, I see someone converts them to take 5C collets.... :thumbup:

Edit: or was it ER32?

DavesWimshurst:
Chris,
You could also index off the jaws of your three jaw lathe chuck.
Use a level on each jaw in turn and scratch the desired area with that fine pointed scribe using the cross slide to move it.  Level each jaw on the back side and you can get 6 spacings.  Or you could use a spacer block to the lathe bed to index from the jaws:

Dave

raynerd:
Thanks for all your ideas. A few more questions and comments.

Darren - just to clarify exactly what is in your picture: did you make that from hex - also is it a mandrel, so your work clamps up onto the mandrel and the hex has markings on, you align your work, screw up the nut and drill, release, re-align .... as so on?

Stew - thanks for the link but I`m trying to get away from buying more tooling for now - have spent enough for another month (holiday later this month!!). I could get a rotary table from RDG for £60 just can`t afford it right now.

DavesWimshurt - I really like that idea, I have a three jaw and simply locking the head stock up on each of the jaws of a three jaw would give me the correct division. However -  :doh: I noticed you have power to your tailstock drill to offset the drill and make the hole. My tailstock does not go off centre and obviously have no power. I could possibly make something similar for the mill with the chuck facing up.....

Well I`m getting closer to having an idea how to do this..... Darrens mandrel seems a good idea also but again it would have to be vertical as I am drilling into the bar face rather than outside....  :scratch:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version