Author Topic: CONGRATULATIONS!  (Read 4779 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
CONGRATULATIONS!
« on: July 06, 2009, 05:49:09 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1920's, 30's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks some of us took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a Ute on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Red Rooster.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Fruit Tingles and some fire crackers to blow up frogs and lizards with.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and cubby houses and played in creek beds with matchbox cars. 

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape or DVD movies, no surround sound, no mobile  phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross buns at Easter time.......no really!

We were given BB guns and sling shots for our 10th birthdays,

We drank milk laced with Strontium 90 from cows that had eaten grass covered in nuclear fallout from the atomic testing at Maralinga in 1956.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

Footy had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

Our teachers used to belt us with big sticks and leather straps and bully's

always ruled the playground at school.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

Our parents got married before they had children and didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade'..... 

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 70 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

PS -The big type is because your eyes are shot at your age [/size12]

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: CONGRATULATIONS!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 06:01:39 AM »
 :thumbup: :clap: nuff said  :clap:  :thumbup:
glen
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 04:57:58 PM »
Darren

I don't know where you got that piece but

Right On!

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 07:09:32 PM »
I don't know where you found it (Australia?.... Ute? Creek beds?) but I know it's mostly true...... You should hear me preaching this stuff to the 19 year old I'm working with...... I must sound "dead old"!!!   :lol:

Oh and..... There's not much wrong with my eyes..... Well not once I got me glasses on!!!   :ddb:

Ralph...... Child of the 70's!!
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 07:38:32 PM »
Too right Blue!   :thumbup:

Aussie for sure, just where who you think Maralinga is?

The Artful Bodger
[Child of the 40's]
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 07:40:22 PM »
What is truly scary is the fact the way both our countries are heading, The 70's will be the good old days here in a couple years.  :bugeye:  :jaw:  :bugeye:  :doh:  :lol:
glen
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 03:53:19 AM »
Came via one of Helens friends in NZ, emigrated there about 20yrs ago...so yes that area..

What surprises me is how it equally applies to most developed countries....I say developed lightly.....

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 10:07:46 AM »
I have seen that one before... it had a slant here to the USA. But either way, it is universal for most countries. Funny, but very true!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline websterz

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 05:47:57 AM »
You forgot to mention that we also got the strap when we had it coming...none of that touchy-feely treehugger Time-Out crap! I got busted many times, deserved every one (plus a few I didn't get when I should have) and I managed to grow up without becoming a serial killer, child molestor, or a burden on the taxpayers. My folks were the last generation allowed by law to do a proper job of raising respectful, polite little tricycle motors. Kids these days are nothing more than little thugs IMHO. I had a little boy, not more than 3 years old, grab his crotch and then flip me a double bird as I drove past him the other day.  :doh: My dad would have killed me and started over!
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 06:00:27 AM »
Same experiences here...too many beatings, but I'm ok.....

Now my kid, it's a long story but I got custody when he was 7yrs old. I wasn't anything like my father but there were rules all the same.

At 11yrs old he started skipping school and going missing all day just for the fun of it. No underlying problems that I or the school could find. So for punishment I made him go to his room one evening after skipping school yet again.
Social services got involved over this one incident and I was made to feel like a criminal. I actually believed they were going to prosecute me. That didn't happen thankfully as stupid as it may sound.

But I lost custody and he was returned to his mother against the courts wishes without a hearing. The SS can overturn the courts where children are involved.

Now he's 15yrs old and nothing but trouble......of course I think he's a good lad, but I'm sure others might have a different opinion if I'm honest with myself.

Many people believe troublesome kids of today are the result of bad parenting, often the parents have their hands tied by the system and the kids know it.
In fact they are taught it.....

I'm a firm believer in a two parent family, but that is becoming less common as each year goes by.

bogstandard

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 06:28:46 AM »
In my younger days, getting up to mischief as normal (knocking on doors and doing a runner sort of things), if you were caught by the Bobby on the beat (and they seemed to be able to find you wherever you were).

No such things as court orders, he dealt it out on the spot with a clip around the ear, then you were frogmarched home, and your parents were told what you have been up to. Then you got to the second stage, a good belt strapping from the old man and a tongue lashing from Ma.

You learned manners and respect in those days, or you had it beaten into you. Never did me any harm.

The problem with all these do-gooders and law makers nowadays is that they live down great long private drives or behind eight foot high walls, and never see what is going on in real life. They don't even have to raise their own kids, they have nannies and boarding schools to sort that out. No bricks thru their windows or car stolen and trashed.

Bring back public flogging and branding for all these street louts, and their irresponsible, couldn't care less parents. Instead of sending them on a super holiday, because they need straightening out.

I personally would pay to go and carry it out on them.

'Bring back the cat' Bogs.