Author Topic: The Artful Bodger's nutating engine!  (Read 48379 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
The Artful Bodger's nutating engine!
« on: June 30, 2009, 06:25:10 PM »
Just a concept so far:

Although Paint has to be among the best programs ever offered by Microsoft (it just does what it is supposed to do and does not try to take over your life) it does have some deficiences when used as a CAD program! ::)

The engine,  it is a single acting steam or air engine with piston valving, it is not reversable but it should have good efficiency and be able to make good use of expansion of the steam or compressed air, I doubt it would run well on low pressure air but it should be economical on the use of steam or air. In elecrical terms it would be a high impedance engine!

The piston is a hollow cylinder closed at the rear/bottom and moves inside a cylinder which incorporates a fixed displacer so that when the piston is TDC the internal volume is a low as possible.  The piston has clearance around the displacer, this clearance is a trade off between minimum TDC volume and friction of internal air/steam flow.  The effective diameter of the piston is the full diameter.  

The engine has an  air/steam input port on one side and exhaust port on the other.  The location of the ports coincides with the inner limit of the displacer.

Holes in the sleeve part of the piston pass by the ports and so provide the valving action.

The big end bearing is mounted at an angle to the crank pin and is connected to the connecting rod via a pivot, the connecting rod is connected to the piston by a universal joint.

As the crank rotates the angled big end bearing acts as a swash plate and causes the connecting rod and hence the piston to partially rotate.  This rotation, which reverses each half crank revolution, means the path followed by the piston ports is different  on the up and down strokes and gives scope for setting the port timing for desired operating characteristics.

In this engine, being single acting I have designed the port openings to be inlet open from TDC till some yet-undetermined angle and for exhaust to be open for most of the up stroke. I dont believe such asymetric valve timing can be achieved in other simple designs such as the oscillator engines.  

To actually fix the position of the piston ports I intend assembling the engine including the ports in the cylinder then marking with a felt pen or something through the cylinder ports as the crank is rotated, I will then take the piston out and drill the piston ports.  The exhaust port will be a series of holes or a slot (depending on how clever I feel on that day) while the inlet port will likely be just a single hole.  If I find the minimum air pressure to run is too high I will elongate the inlet port in the piston somewhat to get a longer input opening duration.

There is another engine design on-line with a semi-rotating piston but I am unsure if it has symetrical valve timing and uses a different method to control piston movement.

I have started to make the cylinder and to gather the bits, it will not be a tiny model as there is a limit as to how small I can make the big end bearing and  besides I dont intend making it too hard as a first project by trying to work in tiny size.

Ah yes, nearly forgot,  'nutation' is the motion a coin takes when spun on the table and also the motion of a planet which wobbles on its axis (which the Earth does due to tidal effects).  This engine has a nutating big end!
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: The Artful Bodger's nutating engine!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 06:35:30 PM »
This will be an interesting one to follow John, I do like horizontals... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 04:10:52 AM »
This evening's progress:

On the left is the cylinder and next to it is the displacer which also forms the cylinder head.  Next comes the sleeve and finally the piston proper.

The piston is by no means finished, I need to turn about half of it away and form the universal joint for attaching to the connecting rod.

I made these bits out of a piece of an old office chair and some thick wall water pipe.

The piston and cylinder look very long because the form of valving requires the parts to be about twice the length of the stroke.  The cylinder bore is 23mm and the stroke 40mm.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 04:35:03 AM by John Hill »

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:56:21 PM »
Hey John!

This one is gonna be interesting to watch. Looking forward to it.

For CAD, you can't beat Johns CoC!... However, there are a couple of free options out there you could try. Google sketchup and the free version of Alibre are both good.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 03:32:20 PM »
Hi John

Nice start,  the designs got me a bit baffled  :scratch:  is it a stirling engine ?

Looking forward to seeing it develop.  :thumbup:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 06:13:14 PM »
Thanks Eric.

No Stew, it is not a Stirling,  it is a single acting steam(or compressed air) engine.  What makes it different is the sleeve extension to the piston that does the port action and the partial rotation of the piston that allows the up stroke port duration to be different to the down stroke port duration.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 09:21:50 PM »
Today is Saturday in God's Own Country and I have done my chores and duties for the day, it is a little wet outdoors so into the garage I will go.

The challenge today is to get the design fixed and a start made on the wobbling-big-end, just how does one turn a 'Z' shaped shaft and get a bearing slid onto it? :scratch:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 01:53:55 AM »
Progress with the wonky big end!

The selected bearing and the crank pin material, as you can see the bearing bore is much bigger diameter pin and measuring with my little protractor I found the axis of the bearing could be tilted to an angle of about 15 degrees with respect to the pin axis.

A bit of scrap steel about twice the diameter of the bearing bore mounted in my new vertical slide and angled 15 degrees to the lathe centreline.  While it is mounted in there I will chop the end to the angle using a fly cutter then drill a hole into the end at the 15 degree angle until it comes out the other side of the shaft.

Testing the crank pin in the drilled shaft, it is a tight fit so I didnt try to force it right through.

The shaft goes back in the lathe and is turned down to size of the bearing bore.

And there we have it!  The bearing is fitted to the crank pin at a 15 degree angle, all it needs is a little careful work with the hacksaw to remove the excess.

With the bearing mounted at 15 degrees I will have almost 30 degrees of rotation of the piston/sleeve which I hope will be enough, more would be better though.

So far everything is a nice friction fit which is good as I dont want to be trying to silver solder and cooking the bearing.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 02:16:35 AM »
Well done so far John!  :thumbup:

I think I understand it........ Maybe......  :scratch:

Watching with great interest......  :wave:

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 04:56:27 AM »
This really intrieging me John.

Watching with great interest.

Stew

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 03:51:43 AM »
Haha!  Bet you all thought I had given up on this project and thrown the bits under the bench eh?  Well no, (not yet anyway).

Here are all the internal bits!  From the left, cylinder, displacer/cylinder head, connecting rod with part of the 'small end' already attached, a couple of pins for the small end universal joint, the piston, piston sleeve, components of the big end universal and finally the wonky bearing on the crank pin.

Piston, connecting rod and the big end all assembled, yes the crank pin is supposed to be on an angle like that!
In the background is the cylinder with head in place.

Still to make, crank webs, crank case, flywheels and something to hold it all together.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 04:14:25 AM »
Well you might have got it David but I'm still in the dark on this one  :scratch:

Watching this one with interest John.... :dremel:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 04:26:24 AM »
Darren,
You might not have got it, and you might think I`ve got it..... (That`s if I`m the correct David)......  :scratch:

I`m not sure..... Of either.....  ::)

:thumbup:

David D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 04:28:42 AM by Stilldrillin »
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 05:02:33 AM »
Relax guys, I am not sure I have "got it" either! :coffee:

It will be very important for there to be no lost motion in either end of the connecting rod and I am having some difficulty working on such small bits. (I might have to pike out and consider commercial universal joints.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 05:04:21 AM by John Hill »

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 03:40:21 AM »

Revised wonky bearing,  I was afraid I would not have enough rotation of the piston to get reliable port action so after searching the bearing department I found this one hiding in an ancient photo copier, it has a much bigger bore though same outer diameter as the previous bearing..  It allows about 33 degrees of wobble.  Discounting slack in the universal joints that will be 66 degrees of piston rotation which should be much better than the previous bearing.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 03:41:55 AM by John Hill »

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 05:34:42 AM »

Tough yakka!  Making the side frames, 5mm steel plate,  chain drillings, cold chisel, file,  lots of file!

(Both sides will stay rivetted together until I get to the finishing stage that way I hope they will have at least a partial resemblance to each other!)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 05:21:18 AM »
On to the next stage, I am milling the side frames after getting them near to shape by manual means.

bogstandard

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 06:25:26 AM »
It looks like you are getting the hang of that vertical slide John.

It does seem to be a rather good one, nice and robust. I see it can rotate about the spindle axis, does it also swing around the crosslide mount as well?, and have you found any major limitations with it yet?

By the look of it, the vice area is the weak point. Another mod coming soon maybe?

John

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 09:44:04 PM »
John, I am very pleased with the vertical slide and it does seem to be at least as robust as any other part of my machinery!

The gibs are rather tight at one end of the travel which I may have to slacken a little if it does not ease up a bit.

The vice arrangement is indeed a frustration to me as I have not yet determined how to mount anything better to it without excessive overhang.

Yes it has both horizontal and vertical axis of rotation.

Apart from the vice, which I am sure I will eventualy figure out an improvement for there are a couple of limitations and the most obvious is that the slide being mounted on the compound mount position can not be moved very far back behind the spindle centreline thereby considerably limiting the size of workpiece that can be handled.

The other frustration is that visibility is extremely poor while that b&**%$ safety guard is over the chuck position!  Much as it goes against the grain to remove safety equipment I fear an exception will soon be made in this regard!

I have managed to avoid climb milling incidents, so far, but doing so does tax the ancient gray matter somewhat.

I am using 380rpm spindle speed, does that sound about right for a mill cutter in mild steel?  The 16mm one really makes the whole machine shudder if I get too enthuisiastic with the feed.

bogstandard

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 11:23:50 PM »
You have asked an unanswerable question there John, I am sorry to say.

Feeds and speeds are chartable items, but only under ideal conditions. I think any machinist with a bit of experience will tell you the same thing, they are for rough guidance only.

In your situation, where you have so many non standard and variable items, you are going to have to do it by the seat of your pants and feel, plus the most important one, sound. The setup should tell you if it is struggling to do the cut, if everything sounds smooth and with very little vibration, you are not far out in your cutting technique.

If it was me, I would tend to go with fast speed and very fine feed. OK it will take a lot longer to get rid of the material, but hopefully, you won't be setting up any uneccessary vibrations in basically an unstable setup, which is what you have. The plus side is that you should also end up with a lot fewer machining marks.

I thought the vice would be your PITA.

Your problem is that to machine it up, you are going to have to use the vertical slide itself.
Normally, the front vice bit is removeable, leaving you will just a flat plate to mount whatever fixtures and fittings you want onto it.

Your choice is to modify what you have, to allow you to do more stable setups, or wack the whole lot off, and get back to a plain face, then treat it as a normal milling table. You can obtain very small low profile machine vices, and tiny rotary tables, at a price, which would completely open up the world of machining to you.
But you've got to keep that overhang as small as possible, to help reduce the vibrations.

John

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 11:56:08 PM »
Thanks John,  fast speed and fine feed. :thumbup:  I did the sums and my FPM rate is only about 19 metres per minute whereas online charts seem to recommend 30 metres or more per minute.

I suppose if I really,really, took the plunge I could get those lugs off the vice using angle grinder, hacksaw and a bit of time and I could finish the face in the lathe, or even on the little shaper.   Then I would have a flat vertical face that I could tap for holding clamps or mounting a real vice.  I am just too chicken, thats all! :D

bogstandard

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 12:22:48 AM »
That decision has to be yours and yours alone John.

If I modify something, I try to do it in such a way, it can be restored to its original use and purpose. In your case, that is difficult to do. It is taking that one step beyond, to a non revertable position that is the problem.

Once you reach that stage, it will cost even more cash, which at the moment I think you are lacking.

Do what you think is right, and only take the final plunge when you are definitely ready for it.

John

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 03:51:21 AM »
Meanwhile:-

Sally Shaper reduces the thickness of the side frames. I think I can confidently claim that those are real shavings you can see there!

Looking good, but not 'mirror finish'.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 03:55:32 AM »
John, if, when I decide to modify the slide I will be going to find someone with a bandsaw who can take those lugs off neatly.  Hacking into it with hand tools might lead to a terrible mess! :doh:

There is, I think, enough meat there to put in a 'T' slot or two  though it might be safer just to drill and tap a matrix of holes.  To be decided.

(Cash is not really a problem but I do have to set priorities!  :coffee:)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:57:19 AM by John Hill »

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 09:01:46 AM »
John

Just to give you another option with that slide rather than kill the existing slide off by cutting bits off it make a new slide by the looks of the pic just a plain chunk of steel would do the trick with the dovetail machined in by sally shaper it looks very doable.

Have fun

Stew