Author Topic: I spent my money! Collet chuck etc  (Read 6277 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
I spent my money! Collet chuck etc
« on: June 29, 2009, 09:42:22 PM »
Having got my vertical slide nicely mounted I needed a collet chuck, some collets and a few mill cutters..

Arc Euro did not answer my email regarding shipping to NZ so I went to CTC Tools of Hong Kong and ordered:

1 A07 ER32 COLLET SET (19 PCS) #A07  EU €31.87

1 A75 ER32 MT3 COLLET CHUCK #A75  EU €10.98

1 C96 4 FLUTE HSS M2AL ENDMILL MILLING CUTTERS (7 PCS) #C96  EU €21.25

Insured Air Freight Shipping    EU €42.82

EU €106.93

CTC Tools may be found at http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/StoreFront  where the search system does actually work and you may look at those catalogue numbers A07, A75 and C96 if you want the details of what I hope to be getting for my money.  :coffee:

Hurry Mr Postman, please hurry! :ddb:

(Fortunately it wont actually feel like I am paying for this stuff as my PayPal account had nearly enough to cover it in proceeds from exporting junque** to the USA.)

It wasnt really junk and the happy purchaser can be seen at http://www.k9qi.com/page32.html

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:49:10 PM by John Hill »
From the den of The Artful Bodger

bogstandard

Re: I spent my money! Collet chuck etc
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 12:52:36 AM »
Nice one John.

I think you will be very happy with your purchase when you eventually receive it.

It will add a new dimension to what you can do now.

Seeing as you haven't done any milling before, just a few little pointers to get you safely on your way.

Just take it very steady with feeds and speeds when you first start, and give it a good dose of reading up on climb milling, it is not a thing you want to be doing at this stage of the game (if ever). It will save you having to wear brown trousers all the time.
This is just the basics

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1002.0

Also, please DON'T ignore the fact that you will need a drawbar. You don't want your new collet chuck chasing you around the shop. When milling, the tooling will be doing it's very and utmost best to pull the toolholder out of your spindle taper. It only needs to be a bit of threaded rod, a big washer and a nut, so it isn't going to break the bank to get that added safety measure.

John

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 02:32:17 AM »
Thanks John, I have already made the drawbar when I made an arbor as one of my first ever lathe projects/exercises.

I think I have the basics of climb milling understood, experiience may be something else so I will be keeping the brown trousers readily to hand!

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 03:32:54 AM »
Wonderful John.

Can't wait to see how you get on.

Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet?

Bet you can't wait.

John.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 07:59:23 PM »
No John, not here yet.  The postie pedalled right on past (again),  I dont know what the delay could be, it is only about 13 hours flying to Hong Kong, 10 hours in a truck from Auckland,  30 minutes smoko time in the mail room.  Oh well, nothing for it I guess.. :coffee:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 05:54:18 PM »
Postman knocked this mornng! :ddb: :proj: :ddb:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
A fat lady.... :scratch:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 08:20:12 PM »
Quite slim actually, nice smile, was riding a red Honda 100 with big panniers (the bike that is). If I was 40 years younger she might have been looking forward to a fun time.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 04:27:11 AM by John Hill »

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 04:13:00 AM »
Saturday arrived and I got to play with my collet chuck, collets (of course), end mills and recently acquired vertical slide. 

The first discovery was that my drawbar would be no use so a pleasant diversion was taken to make a 'special' one for the collet chuck.

I put a scrap of steel in the slide and a 16mm cutter in the chuck then tried to figure out the configuration regarding avoiding climb milling.  :scratch:  That took the old noggin a while then I repositioned the slide, the work and hitched my trousers a little just to be sure.

I took a couple of very slight cuts without anything nasty happening but if this trial is a fair indication I will not be retiring the petite shaper any time soon!  To be fair my first attempts with the shaper were probably worse than this! :coffee:

bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 05:33:54 AM »
It will get better John.

But not by much.

John