Author Topic: mill quill not moving freely  (Read 1012 times)

Offline merman

mill quill not moving freely
« on: November 03, 2023, 07:51:01 PM »
good day

i bought a second hand NAEROK mill RDM350M a while back but have only now gotten around to using it

when using either the fine feed wheel or the feed handle the quill seems stiff [slow/sluggish to move]
if i let go of the handle it doesn't return to the top like a drill press would it just stays where it is

i've never used a mill before
ive used plenty of drill presses in varying sizes and all their quills moved freely

so, my question is this
what do i need to do to get the quill to move freely [i'm under the impression it should move as freely as a drill press quill]

is it simply a case of oiling?
if so where?

do i need to strip it down and remove the quil?
if so how?

i've scoured the internet but most if not all the info is in relation to replacing bearings

everything else seems fine
don't know if the mill wasn't cared for too much previously or if it's just been standing for a while unused
there's no rust on the quill or indeed on the column

any and all advice greatly appreciated
i'd hate to pull it all apart only to find out there's an easier or more obvious way to go
and i'm a bit fretful of taking it apart as i can't find any instructions on how to do it

thanks

ps the return spring is there and seems to be ok

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Re: mill quill not moving freely
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 04:08:54 AM »
Is there a small amount of free movement of the handwheel?

Does the slow feed wheel move in and out as the handwheel is moved ?

Mill/drills like that usually have a clutch that engages the slow feed . Often just a pair of tapers , one on the slow pinion and one on the hand wheel, squeezed together by a bolt on the end of the hand wheel shaft.

Remove the bolt and slide off the handwheel, remove the worm wheel assembly . Clean and reassemble

Can the quill be moved up and down  a little by hand (always a little backlash in the rack) ?

Check quill lock - often just a clamp squeezing a split in the quill bore.  Carefully tap a wedge (flat blade of screwdriver) to spring the split open a tiny bit . Careful! You are not trying to bend it open , just release it a little to see if that frees the quill.

If none of the above...

Drop the quil out by removing the handwheel shaft and anti rotation screw -  Careful when removing the spring, loosen the bolt holding the cap a few turns but do not remove . The cap has lugs that prevent  rotation until pulled away from the seat - pul out and un wind carefully (refitting is the reverse precedure )

Clean, lubricate with light oil and reassemble

Bill

Offline merman

Re: mill quill not moving freely
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 08:21:46 PM »
bill,

can't thank you enough for that detailed reply, truly grateful

i'll get on that over the course of the week