Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop
Surface grinder concept/project
(1/4) > >>
BillTodd:
 Quiet in here   :poke:

I purloined and few bits from a scrap wire-eroder that have inspired a couple of project ideas - (it was working and only scrapped because it needed to be moved and the only way to get it out of the workshop was in bits)

From the U/V wire-angle mechanism I have an incredible two-axis slide unit - cross roller guides, 1mm pitch ball screws  , preloading gears  has to have been designed for micron precision or better . But more on this later...

From the head unit I have a couple of Rexroth double row ball linear guides . These are far too good to use on the plasma cutter I had planned , hence this surface grinder idea.

A while ago , on YouTube, Stefan Gateswinter' showed off his new Bema surface grinder (https://www.bemagmbh.de/en/range-of-services/lever-operated-flat-grinding-machine/)  I liked the compact size and novel layout.  I also had a pair of US made servo linear axes modules very much like the ones used on the Bema , I just needed something for the table to slide on.

The design is a bolted aluminium construction  , using 25mm plate for the base and 10-15mm plates to stiffen where required . The table will have a travel of about 11inches (280mm) with the head traversing 14" (350mm) or so.  It should have about 12" (300mm) above the table .

I'm not sure about spindle ATM. I have an old Black&Decker grinder spindle (yes I know B&D but it is from the days when they made a better class of tool)

I'll probably use a chain driven table (Like Bema) but may motorise the Vertical and traverse since it will be easier than adding handles .

If I can find a suitable head unit, the Z will have a 0.1um Mitutoyo scale also courtesy of the wirer :-)

Coming soon ... microscope and/or Nano-mill  :proj:
shipto:
I have been thinking recently about putting linear rails on my converted surface grinder. although I would put the rails upside down rather than the way. This way I figure there would be less chance for the grinding dust to sit on the rails and damage the bearings.
I know you could cover them but I still feel there is the risk. I do like that design though.
BillTodd:
I'm sure it would work fine.   The table is supporting the whole length of the rail  so it operates like a mill where the bearing is directly under the cutting force

I've gone for the stationary rail which keeps the table lighter and easier to traverse manually.

The dust cover is a problem, I can only find flat bellows ( rather than the inverted U shape I would prefer), so I am thinking about light air pressure to reduce dust ingress , perhaps using a hoover motor as a pump.
BillTodd:
Update on the spindle assembly.

Like the Bema model, the entire head can revolve . so to see what it would look like, I added a cup wheel the the rear of the spindle , it could be used in a horizontal vertical fashion a little like a Blanchard .
ltlvt:
I would love to get my hands on a Vintage Mini Surface grinder. But in my area if it gets machined it must be for an Oil Well. Nothing small around Oil Wells.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version