Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

I made a thing...

<< < (2/6) > >>

shipto:

--- Quote from: Muzzerboy on October 10, 2023, 01:02:30 PM ---Nice looking part. This is one of those tools I fancy having a go at. I'd want it to be usable in both the lathe and milling machine. I'll be interested to see how you get on.

I don't know if you noticed, but RotarySMP has been gaining some experience(!) in making these bits recently. He has a chuck sent to him by one of his viewers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZHeBOYlOjQ

The chucks look reasonably easy to make once you've figured out the best way to hold the body at the required 1 degree angle. Famous last words!

--- End quote ---
Thank you for the video, I have subscribed.
As for the chuck I am still mulling it over but have collected a few parts and started drawing my ideas up on freecad. My design will hopefully be usable in my turret head so I can mount drill, countersink and broaching tool for quicker operations. I will set up a thread on "projects" when I start.

shipto:

--- Quote from: AdeV on October 10, 2023, 04:34:13 AM ---Oh, that is NICE!

I cheat when making hex holes - I use a EDM machine :D Although that only works if the thing I'm "drilling" is quite small, otherwise it won't fit in the tank  :Doh:

--- End quote ---
I looked into cheap and cheerful EDM when I first looked at doing this but decided that for the quantity I hope to be needing it would take too long. Having said that I would really like to play about with EDM but must not get distracted.  :wack:

shipto:
When I went to the midland model engineering exhibition last week I picked up some 1/2" round hss which are about 65mm long so cut in half can make two bits each.
Spent most of the weekend messing about making the bits, so far I have made a 10mm and a 6mm there is a 8mm still in the jig but I messed up it up so its undersize but no big loss I will just grind it down to make a 5mm broach.
The 6mm seems to have come out really well and the 10mm is measuring good too.

philf:
I've just made the rotary broach with its one degree offset but not yet a broaching tool to try it out.

Mine takes 12mm and 6mm dia tools (6mm with an adaptor).

I already had a suitable INA combined needle and thrust bearing so designed it around it. It has a 2MT arbor so it can be used in the bench drill or lathe tailstock (with a 2MT to 3MT adaptor)

shipto:
An adapter is a good idea actually, would certainly save time grinding the smaller ones. I do have the beginnings of the tool holder but I am making mine with adjustment to dial it in. I will post it up when done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version