Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

I made a thing...

(1/6) > >>

shipto:
...to grind broaching bits on my surface grinder. Pic 1 is the jig in place on the grinder, I can set the angle needed and lock it in place then use the protractor to set the facet to be cut. It is locked in position by way of a bar going under the collet with a dimple and ball bearing to wedge it solid.
Pic2 is the result of my test to make a 8mm hex broach out of a M14 tap shaft.
Pic3 I pushed the broach through a scrap bit of aluminium and the allen key fits perfectly.

AdeV:
Oh, that is NICE!

I cheat when making hex holes - I use a EDM machine :D Although that only works if the thing I'm "drilling" is quite small, otherwise it won't fit in the tank  :Doh:

Muzzerboy:
Doesn't look as if you are using this as a rotary broach as such, so presumably you drill a hole and simply press the bit through it? Or is there also a rotary broach chuck(?) associated with it for use in your pillar drill or milling machine?

shipto:

--- Quote from: Muzzerboy on October 10, 2023, 07:50:02 AM ---Doesn't look as if you are using this as a rotary broach as such, so presumably you drill a hole and simply press the bit through it? Or is there also a rotary broach chuck(?) associated with it for use in your pillar drill or milling machine?

--- End quote ---
It will be used as a rotary broach I just havent made the chuck yet. I just pressed this through the aluminium because I wanted to see the fit but yes it was a drilled hole 8mm then slightly countersunk to centre the broach and pressed through.

Muzzerboy:
Nice looking part. This is one of those tools I fancy having a go at. I'd want it to be usable in both the lathe and milling machine. I'll be interested to see how you get on.

I don't know if you noticed, but RotarySMP has been gaining some experience(!) in making these bits recently. He has a chuck sent to him by one of his viewers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZHeBOYlOjQ

The chucks look reasonably easy to make once you've figured out the best way to hold the body at the required 1 degree angle. Famous last words!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version