Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

I made a thing...

<< < (4/6) > >>

philf:
Thanks Shipto,

12mm HSS would be a last resort. It would take me ages to grind it to a small size. When I get a few minutes I'll try a water hardened one and, if that doesn't work, go for 6mm HSS which RDG do 5 pieces of 100mm long for £9.95 with free postage.

Phil.

Muzzerboy:

--- Quote from: philf on November 04, 2023, 09:13:44 AM ---I hardened the broaches in oil. I'll try water next to see if they do a better job.

--- End quote ---

Did you temper them after hardening? Failure to do so would leave them very brittle. Typically, that would result in the sharp corners breaking off.

John Rudd:
Use a code 12769, to get a discount…(5%)… but no RDG prices inc post.

philf:

--- Quote from: Muzzerboy on November 05, 2023, 07:04:42 AM ---
--- Quote from: philf on November 04, 2023, 09:13:44 AM ---I hardened the broaches in oil. I'll try water next to see if they do a better job.

--- End quote ---

Did you temper them after hardening? Failure to do so would leave them very brittle. Typically, that would result in the sharp corners breaking off.

--- End quote ---

I did - the corners didn't look as though they'd broken off - more like worn away.

I have some KE672 which I've made cutters out of which have been capable of cutting clock pinions in silver steel. I'll try one in that.

philf:

--- Quote from: John Rudd on November 05, 2023, 08:02:56 AM ---Use a code 12769, to get a discount…(5%)… but no RDG prices inc post.

--- End quote ---

From the RDG website:

FREE UK Delivery
For all orders going to anywhere in the United Kingdom, the free postal details are below.
Orders up to £30 2nd class post 2-10 working day service.
Orders from £30-£100 will be shipped by Royal Mail tracked 48 a 2-10 working day tracked service.
Orders £100 or above or over 2 kilos will be shipped Fedex for next working day for mainland UK and 2-3 day shipping for Scottish Highlands, Islands, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Isle of Wight.

Phil.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version