Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

I made a thing...

<< < (3/6) > >>

philf:
I just made a 10mm hex broach (out of silver steel). I've only tried it in brass so far and it needs a lot of force to broach the hole pushing the bar back through the chuck unless it's very tight.

I'll try a 6mm hex next and then, if it works OK in brass, maybe try it in steel.

shipto:

--- Quote from: philf on November 02, 2023, 08:03:26 AM ---I just made a 10mm hex broach (out of silver steel). I've only tried it in brass so far and it needs a lot of force to broach the hole pushing the bar back through the chuck unless it's very tight.

I'll try a 6mm hex next and then, if it works OK in brass, maybe try it in steel.

--- End quote ---
The force required is one of my main worries especially as I have done things the wrong way around strictly speaking as my parts are already threaded. I will make a split nut or something to hold the parts in with matching threads so if it moves in the chuck it wont mash them up.
just completed the 8mm broach and I am really pleased with how my little grinder is performing, its really good when I dress the wheel before starting and I have included pics of that and the start of the tool inself.

philf:

--- Quote ---The force required is one of my main worries especially as I have done things the wrong way around strictly speaking as my parts are already threaded. I will make a split nut or something to hold the parts in with matching threads so if it moves in the chuck it wont mash them up.
just completed the 8mm broach and I am really pleased with how my little grinder is performing, its really good when I dress the wheel before starting and I have included pics of that and the start of the tool inself.

--- End quote ---

If you're putting a hex socket in a screw the head should limit how far it can move in the chuck.

I have split sleeves for lots of thread sizes - very useful. A sleeve with a collar on one end would stop the sleeve pushing through the chuck. I'll make some!

philf:
I made a 4 and a 5mm hex broach this morning.

I used silver steel and tried them putting a hex socket in mild steel. The 4mm worked ok with a 4.2 pilot hole but when I tried a 4mm hole it took the corners off the broach. The 5mm was no better  - even with a >5mm pilot.  :bang:

I hardened the broaches in oil. I'll try water next to see if they do a better job.

Only takes a few minutes on the mill with my dividing head set pointing 2 degrees down. I put the cutting angle in the end on the lathe at about 8 degrees.

So far a lot of effort with little to show for it.

They work OK in brass but I've not come across many socket head screws in brass!

If the next, water hardened, broaches fail I'll try HSS - probably by silver soldering broken end mills into a 12mm shank.

shipto:
RDG are selling 5 x 12mm x 100mm tool steel for just under £16 I assume theres some postage to pay too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version