Author Topic: Where did time go !!!  (Read 3178 times)

Offline Joules

Where did time go !!!
« on: August 02, 2023, 11:22:07 AM »
It sort of crept up on me over the years, retirement looms in a month.  Plans are to downsize the workshop and dispose of a few machines, but keep sufficient for me to do odds and sods.   Been 20+yrs making prototypes and short production runs for local companies.  All on manual machines, I tended to pick up the stuff the CNC guys couldn't make enough money out of.  The 3D printing proved popular for a few years too.

No intention of building extensive models as could never put that much effort in to one project.  Saying that I do have my eye on a particular car that has taken my attention, wife wouldn't allow me to have another motorbike.

I guess all that's left is to sort out my one man leaving do  :lol:

I will have an Elliot 10M shaper and Myford Super 7 looking for new homes in the near future and whole bunch of other junk you pick up along the way to keep a business running irrespective of a local nuclear strike, diesel generator anyone ?

Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline hermetic

Re: Where did time go !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 05:22:41 AM »
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!
Time always flies when you are having fun!
Enjoy your retirement, but expect to be at least as busy as before it happened!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 08:06:57 AM »
Joules don't imagine 'retirement' will give you more time to do things - that's a falacy ! The jobs just seem to be added to the list faster than they can be cleared.  I currently have a back log having been suffering from Shingles for a couple of weeks - I don't recommend it - and appparently as we get to the age that the three of us in this thread have (late 60's to late 70's) apparently we are ALL suceptable to it - (it's a chicken pox virus that stays with us for life and develops into shingles is we get over tired or run down!)

Hoping to get into the workshop later today for the first time in three weeks.

Enjoy your retirement - need any more fleece to spin?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline philf

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 08:45:49 AM »
Did you have the shingles jab Andrew? I did when I was 70. I had shingles when I was 11 and remember how painful it was.
Phil Fern

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 09:32:32 AM »
Sadly no Phil, our surgery kept very quiet about it. Wife's just had it and I can't have it for a few weeks until the symptoms subside. Apparently it's available 'on demand' from your 70th birthday up until your 79th - after that it's not available.My pill regime thankfuly is coming to an end now but up until yesterday I was on 27 either pills or ointments in every 24 hour - and it messes with your head! It got the right side of my head, all round the eye down the cheek and up onto the forehead - I must look a right horror as I've not been able to have my false eye in as it's too painful.

But back to Jules retirement . . a much happier subject I hope.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Joules

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 11:25:24 AM »
I'm cheating and retiring at 60...  Mainly as the old guys I used to do parts for have shut up over the past few years.  I will still be making parts for one good friend until he's had enough or I can't make them anymore, we are the same age.  Hoping to buy my first new car, ever....  LOL   Get out and about in better weather.

Oooooh more fleece, I could do with replacing this current wool G string......   Only if we can send you some dosh to cover the postage at least, Andrew.

Thanks guys, much appreciated and fully understand the busier than working comments.

Joules

Offline philf

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2023, 02:18:51 PM »
I'm cheating and retiring at 60...

I must be a bigger cheat than you - I retired at 57.

I was lucky to be with the same company all my working life and was in a final salary pension scheme.

As has already been mentioned - you'll wonder where you found the time for work.

Enjoy it.
Phil Fern

Offline Joules

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2023, 02:34:34 PM »
Cheers Phil, here's a blast from the past for Andrew....  It's still standing, though the brackets are looking worse for wear.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2023, 03:53:33 PM »
Yes I well remember you making that Jules :)

Well I beat the lot of you - I "retired" at 50 in 2020 (CORRECTON of typo 2000 !) - that is to say I ceased employment - I did some consultancy for about three years but I got fed up travelling the continent and staying in yet another hotel.

I lost my father at 58 - he never had any retirement - and it was his work that gave him his heart problems that finished him off, so I was determined to have some retirement time even if financially far worse off. And I have no regrets over that descision.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 09:30:35 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2023, 05:04:03 PM »
In 2008 I bought a Harley to ride when retired but thanks to the idiot turning left I went on long term at age 54 that with the optional insurance they offered I still received a full paycheque till 2019. Work didn’t have any “ light duties “ and the insurance policy read that I couldn’t be forced to take a lesser paying job I was getting $42.00 a hour at that time.

Offline Sea.dog

• Up Spirits!
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2023, 04:50:45 PM »
I retired at 58. Well, I was made redundant and, hating IT so much, I thought blow it. I had to do a few odd jobs for three years working with a mate: flat refurbs, plumbing, electrical, that sort of thing.

It's great to be able to do as you please, when it pleases you. But make sure that you do something. I'm not married, so no-one to push me  :thumbup:

Offline Joules

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2023, 10:04:31 AM »
Sea dog, I did 20yrs in I.T most at a university as a computer engineer, moved out of that and into engineering thanks to unofficial training at the Uni's engineering department for my last few years there as the computer services department dumbed down.   Setup the home shop and started doing local work, was tempted to the darkside when the opportunity came up to build commercial jet engines !!!  All be it model ones, did it for a couple of years as it just wasn't the kind of job that comes along very often in life.   Back to self employed, and now counting down the days, plenty of hobbies and short attention span 😂 never could hope to build some big models or even small ones looking at my track record...

Wife has plans for us, in regards a little sporty car, Pembleton T24.   That should keep my hands full and still justify keeping some of the workshop active, but that's about a year out from now.   Repairs and problem solving I guess will never end, so not expecting a quiet corner and gathering cobwebs for a good while yet.

Offline philf

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2023, 04:39:01 PM »

Wife has plans for us, in regards a little sporty car, Pembleton T24.

Joules - I had to Google a Pembleton T24 never having heard of them.

What a beautiful little motor!

https://www.pembleton.co.uk/t24

Have fun!
Phil Fern

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2023, 04:57:19 PM »
Get the wife to knit seat covers, there’s a Jacobs sheep fleece on the way to you as of lunchtime today  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline philf

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2023, 06:43:41 PM »
Get the wife to knit seat covers, there’s a Jacobs sheep fleece on the way to you as of lunchtime today  :clap:

Andrew - send him another and she can knit a soft-top!
Phil Fern

Offline Joules

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2023, 07:02:04 AM »
Awww, thanks Andrew, and my apologies to Jacob if he's a bit nippy at night....

Whilst the wife can knit, we are a pair of amateur weavers.....   Turning perfectly good fleece into lumpy wear.   I don't have the finess for spinning nailed down yet, 3ply you could anchor a boat with......

Wash and card the wool in the summer, attempt to spin and weave over the winter.   Amazing how much you can get done with no telly.

Hmmmm, a couple of tea cosies for the headlight's, now your thinking lads.....

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2023, 10:46:32 AM »
Wash the raw wool and save the water to water the tomatoes - sheep poo makes great fertiliser  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Joules

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2023, 02:01:00 PM »
Got it, wash tomatoes in sheep water and eat.... :thumbup: