Author Topic: wireless remote for inverter  (Read 84 times)

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
wireless remote for inverter
« on: June 23, 2022, 01:45:03 PM »
I have a 2.2kw inverter in my shop which currently is running my homemade mill, this previously used a 0.8kw or thereabout but when I was offered this inverter at work I came away with a portion of the bosses arm  :lol: and being daft I then gave the smaller one to my mate for his hobbymat lathe.
Now also from work I have a 2.2kw motor which I am going to fit to my Harrison lathe. The reason being I need to be able to run the lathe in reverse to use a die head to cut some left handed threads.
I have a barrel switch? which can direct the inverter output between the lathe and the mill but the controls for the inverter are wired to a box with some magnets to mount it where I want it but I would prefer some kind of wireless solution if possible. There are 6 wires in total FORWARD-GND-REVERSE and 3 for the speed pot.
So I am firstly asking if I should even switch this inverter between the two machines, I cant imagine it would cause a problem but maybe other can see one.
secondly I am looking for suggestions for a wireless remote to control the inverter.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline philf

Re: wireless remote for inverter
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 02:09:25 PM »
I have a barrel switch? which can direct the inverter output between the lathe and the mill but the controls for the inverter are wired to a box with some magnets to mount it where I want it but I would prefer some kind of wireless solution if possible. There are 6 wires in total FORWARD-GND-REVERSE and 3 for the speed pot.
So I am firstly asking if I should even switch this inverter between the two machines, I cant imagine it would cause a problem but maybe other can see one.
secondly I am looking for suggestions for a wireless remote to control the inverter.

Shipto,

Whatever you do don't operate the switch if the inverter is running one of the machines. It would probably better to power the inverter off.

I don't know how you could operate the inverter remotely - there are 3 channel remote relay units but I don't think I'd be comfortable using one for something as potentially damaging as a lathe or mill.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Re: wireless remote for inverter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 03:23:07 PM »

Shipto,

Whatever you do don't operate the switch if the inverter is running one of the machines. It would probably better to power the inverter off.

I don't know how you could operate the inverter remotely - there are 3 channel remote relay units but I don't think I'd be comfortable using one for something as potentially damaging as a lathe or mill.

Phil.
Yeah already figured that would probably be a bad idea but there is a bit of safety in the barrel switch however as there is 4 positions with the two middle positions being off so its not like you could switch from one to the other by accident.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/