<< < (7/8) > >>

vtsteam:
Thanks kindly, John!  :beer: :beer:

Pekka, I don't know if this is any help:

PekkaNF:
Oh. I see it now. Thank you.

vtsteam:
You're welcome Pekka!  :beer:

BTW after squinting sideways with my head practically on the mill drill's table trying to profile out that shape with a tiny mill -- the view almost completely obscured by the big quill, turning dials, Twice. Once for each side of the part. I eventually figured out there was an easier way. and I'll pass that on to anyone trying to do something similar.... No, I don't mean CNC it, I mean if you're hard core, like me with an old round column mill and an unmounted DRO. Or more properly hard headed....

Don't try to profile out that whole shape. Just mill a straight cut across the middle of the waste area to the pivot line. Turn the part over, re-clamp and do the same for the other side. If you've already done the horizontal and vertical saw cuts, the halves will then separate.

After that it's a heck of a lot easier to profile the hinge bit on each piece. In fact if you are working with aluminum like me, a coarse bastard file will profile these pieces faster than you can clamp indicate, and twiddle mill dials towards an approximation of the shape that needs file cleanup anyway to finish the job.

vtsteam:
I added the clamping bolt for closing the steady.

I made a 1" thick base for the steady rest that positions it at center height over the ways. It extends back from the rest forming an L shape. It was milled out on the bottom to fit in the gap in the ways and is meant to slide tight against rear way. It is bolted  to the rest from underneath using two countersunk 5/16" x 2" grade 8 flat head socket screws.

I've also cast a slide clamp of zinc alloy, and it fastens through the base with a trapped 3/8" bolt and nut.

The steady is now fully functional, but there are a few more refinements to come. It's rock solid presently on the ways of the new lathe.

krv3000:
in a word brill :) :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version