Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Steady Rest Rehab + a New Steady Rest Casting

<< < (6/8) > >>

vtsteam:
Tom, thanks!  :beer:
I decided not to cast the fingers after all, but make them out of the same 1/2" x 1" hot rolled steel I used for the older steady. Very tedious with my mill to slot those, but I made it through all three by the afternoon. They still have mill scale on them, they'll get a soak in vinegar and salt overnight, and then they get tabs brazed to them for the adjusters, and brazed tips to reduce marring the work.

I did also slot the aluminum casting to fit the fingers -- a heck of a lot easier milling aluminum! It was a pleasure by comparison. I have to admit, I don't particularly like milling. I'd ten times rather machine work on the lathe than the mill. But sometimes you have to.

Also drilled and tapped the casting for the retainer bolts. Again, easy as pie with aluminum. Hey, a plus, when I searched for the tap I found the missing old square headed adjuster screw for the old steady rest -- it was in the box of taps. I must have checked it against a tap for thread pitch, and then set it down.  :wack:

And finally I was able to fit the new steady parts together for a look-see. I'd managed nice close sliding fit by cranking the mill dials and winding out backlash in the old way -- DRO is still not fitted there.

Here's the present state of affairs;

vtsteam:
Laying out for the hinge and hinge line:

vtsteam:
And the casting split and hinged. This required splitting the ring horizontally, and the hinge vertically. Then relieving to half depth alternate sections, front-bottom and back-top, of the hinge.

vintageandclassicrepairs:
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

John

PekkaNF:

--- Quote from: vtsteam on April 06, 2022, 06:15:10 PM ---And the casting split and hinged. This required splitting the ring horizontally, and the hinge vertically. Then relieving to half depth alternate sections, front-bottom and back-top, of the hinge.

--- End quote ---

I see the problem, but not solution....unless cut slanted, but can't see that on the picture or explanation. I just don't see how the hinge is whitled from one part. How it is done?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version