Author Topic: Small Coil Winder  (Read 3138 times)

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Small Coil Winder
« on: September 01, 2021, 11:01:05 AM »
I have built a small coil winder , that may well suit people here interested in such things . It was to be a commercial product but frankly I don't have the energy or motivation to finish it on my own . So, I've decided to make the project files free to all on a not for profit basis .

The winder is based around a Raspberry PI as a controller, which talks serial to a couple of 8 pin PIC 12f1572 mpus. The PI software is written in Python (in my own indecipherable style !) using a Tkinter GUI (I was thinking about adding a Kivi GUI and a touch interface to make the thing self contained) . I've been developing the software on a linux machine running Spyder4 (see pic below) .

The PICs generate the pulse train (handling acceleration reversing etc.etc.) to two stepper motor drivers, one for spindle (currently a servo stepper) and one for the feeder.

The 3D cad files for the machine parts will be available. The original was carved out of ally but I've been slowly redesigning parts to be 3d printed on a MSLA resin printer

So who's interested in taking on the project, extending and polishing it , in an open source manner?

Original winding 0.08mm wire at 600rpm :

Also a project on Group DIY.com  : https://groupdiy.com/threads/small-coil-winder-project.77674/
Bill

Offline BillTodd

Re: Small Coil Winder
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 11:06:08 AM »
couple more photos:
Bill

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 01:35:02 PM »
Nice looking winder.  It would be an interesting prfoject, but it is WAYYYYY beyond me as I am currently PI-ignorant.

I know it's only an optical illusion, but there were a couple of times when I was watching your video that I could swear the feeder wire was jumping back and forth.  Had to be the camera playing a trick on my eyes.

Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 02:21:20 PM »
The 3d printed feeder arm in the video is an experiment  - it uses tungsten pins instead of a very expensive ruby nozzle.  ATM it's too far away from the bobbin and the wrap is wandering about.  There's also a lot of frame aliasing making everything wobble .

The RPi doesn't do too much and could be replaced with a serial port to a PC (this is how I developed the software) .

Bill