Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Can the auto-darkening filter be replaced in a welding helmet?

<< < (4/4)

russ57:
Brings back memories of me as a young engineer.
Diagnosing why some emergency pagers were exhibiting poor performance. Turned out to be increase in noise on the 27mhz ism band they used.  Anyway as part of the investigation i learnt the battery life was also degrading. They were button nicad cells, probably more like a 2065 than 2032 i think, but it was 40 years ago. I decided to see if a few good charge cycles would reverse the memory effect. I was summoned to the workshop about 30 minutes after I left them on a bench power supply, to see first hand the results of reverse charging. Not to mention cleaning up the effects of reverse charging...

-russ

awemawson:
Often 'memory effect' is strands of nickel growing across the two poles shorting things out. A good heavy pulse of a few amp but short duration usually burns them off.

The original batteries for my Paslode nail gun develop this syndrome if left for a month or two and the official charger refuses to play with them. They are 6 volt stacks of cells, (ie 5 x 1.2 volts) and if 'flashed' very briefly across a 12 volt car battery - literally just flicking a wire across the terminals - they tend to see sense and start charging. Before the flash the low voltage of a shorted cell prevents the 'intelligent' charger charging.

I'm not advocating this for all, just saying what I do and what works as a temporary solution (as the nickle whiskers will grow back)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version