Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Can the auto-darkening filter be replaced in a welding helmet?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Muzzerboy:
No you wouldn't want to try recharging those CR button cells. Apparently they can make quite a bang.

Seems a bit sneaky fitting consumable batteries into these things. I suspect there may be several types and hopefully some of them are either fully self powered using the PV cell or have user changeable cell(s).

I must have a look at mine when I next have an idle moment.....

awemawson:
In many cases a fresh CR2032 will probably last the length of the design life, it will be extremely low consumption. Think car fob batteries - when did you last change yours? (Though I have a spare in the unused ash tray just in case!)

RussellT:
Design life?  When I buy stuff I expect it to last for ever - and preferably longer than that.

Russell

awemawson:
But nowadays the makers DON'T or they won't get more sales!

Quite a cultural shift since the 60's and 70's. I have electronics from the era where the electrolytic capacitors are as good as new - no bulging, no popped corks, no dribbles on the PCB. Whereas contrasting with much more modern electronics duff electrolytics are all over the place.

(I accept that paper capacitors from the 50's are going leaky now and I cite my thread on the Racal RA17 as an example but that is after 62 years!)

https://www.madmodder.net/index.php/topic,12831.0.html

AdeV:
 :scratch:
--- Quote from: Muzzerboy on May 23, 2021, 03:59:13 PM ---No you wouldn't want to try recharging those CR button cells. Apparently they can make quite a bang.

--- End quote ---

Can confirm  :zap: :lol:

A long time ago, I tried to charge a CRsomething (not sure of the size) with a train set controller. I can't remember the max output voltage (16v, I think, but that sounds a little high). The battery survived this abuse for a good hour, before explosively decompressing.... fortunately, I wasn't very near to it at a time, so it didn't deter me from similarly stupid experiments as I got older  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version