Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Rotary Table Chuck Adaptor Plate

(1/5) > >>

sbwhart:
Hi Chaps

The problemo:- I want to ba able to mount my lathe chuck straight onto my RT with a job still in it and retain concentricity. My lathe is one of the many Chinese lathes knocking about where the chuck is held on with three bolts into the back, so you have a difficulty clamping it to your RT.

OK so this is the idea, my RT has an M2 taper up the middle, use a blank M2 arbour with a blank chuck mounting plate that I got from Arc Ero trade, turn the M2 arbour for a nice fit on the plate glue and screw the two together, set it up in the lathe and turn a register on it for the chuck drill three holes in it to bolt the chuck down with.

It will stand up from the base of the RT so you can get in and screw the bolts into the back of the chuck.

C o C probably explains this better. 

These are the bits

And this is what it will look like in reality it will stand about an inch closer to the RT when its all fitted together.

It'll be a few days before I start to cut metal so we'll see how it goes

Have fun

Stew

sbwhart:
Started to cut metal tonight whilst the boss was busey making chocloate refrigerator cake for her class.

When I start to turn the mandrell proper I want to leave it set up until its finished so I spent some time preping other bits.

First part was the clamp washer this was made from some 3mm plate rough cut then friction turned to size.

First time I'd tried this it worked a treat  :thumbup:

Put a 60 deg countersink in the midle.

Next job counter bore the adaptor plate to take the washer, job set up true in big four jaw.

Next bit seting the M2 morse taper in my M3 head stock morse taper, this was done with a M3 to M2 adaptor sleeve with the back cut off so that a draw bar can screw into the M2 morse taper. the one I used was made by John he simply cut the back end off an ordianary sleeve but you can buy them from Arc Ero.

This is how the bits go

As the plate has to stand away from the table so that I can get my fingers in to screw the bolts in, I had a check with a vice to see how much finger room I needed.

About one inch should do it.

Marked the one inch finger room from base of RT on the M2 mandrel

Then rough turned the register on the mandrel 1/2 mm big, then drill and tapped the end M6

Then finshed turn it for a nice push fit on the adaptor plate.

With high strength loctite assembled the plate to the mandrell, pushed it on with the tail stop.

Just out of interst checked the run out on the OD of the plate 0.02mm thats good  :thumbup:

That all for know let the old loctite do its curring thing overnight.

Have fun

Stew

Brass_Machine:
Looking good Stew. Didn't John do something along this lines?

Eric

sbwhart:
Eric

Yes but John uses a Myford screw thread chucks, with an adaptor, I wanted something I could use my existing Chinese type fixing chucks on.

Cheers

Stew

bogstandard:
Many ways to skin a cat Stew, yours is coming along great.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version