The Shop > CNC

3D Printer problems - Monoprice/Wanhao D6

<< < (3/3)

ddmckee54:
picklock:

Sorry about the slow reply, I just noticed that there was a new reply to this thread.

The relay is used to control the 24VDC power to the entire machine which includes the heaters.  I don't have a problem with that part of the design.  My problem is that they used a relay that is only rated at 10 amps when the heaters alone need 12.5 amps.  These 10A relays are known problems with the motherboard on this printer.

I have ordered, and received, new boards from Aliexpress.  They were the only supplier that had both of the boards I needed in stock.  They were the cheapest too if you want to call it that, but it wasn't THAT cheap.  I have also ordered and received 20 amp relays that are a pin for pin replacement of the original 10 amp relay on the motherboard.  I just haven't got either the boards or the relay installed yet.  I should probably do that tomorrow, then I can cross one more thing OFF of the to-do list.

I don't think there is anything wrong with my original motherboard, other than the bad relay.  I intend to replace the rely on my original motherboard and see if it works properly.  Either way, the relay on the replacement motherboard that I ordered is getting changed to the 20A relay.

Don

picclock:
@ddmckee54
if the relay just tums the 24v on and off what is its function ?. Is it just to power off the machine when print finished ?

Either way, best of luck with the fix, you seem to have it well in hand.

Best Regards

piclock

ddmckee54:
I have received the replacement boards that I ordered from Aliexpress, and I received the replacement relays that I ordered from Omni-Pro Electronics.  I was only going to order 3 of the relays, but the way Omni-Pro had their quantity/price-breaks arranged it only cost me $3 more to order 5 relays as opposed to the 3 that I was going to order.  I've probably got a life-time supply of spare relays now - I hope.  Over the weekend I installed the replacement input board and I'm happy to report that my Monoprice printer is now functional again.  It's still got the original motherboard and 10A relay in it though, I wanted to see if the original motherboard also got static zapped when I fried the original input board.  Since I successfully completed a 20mm cube test print I'm gonna say that the motherboard is good to go.

I will replace the 10A relay on the new motherboard that I ordered from Aliexpress, and install that motherboard in the printer.  I will then replace the 10A relay on my original motherboard and turn that board over to the Storeroom for inventory.  (I'm gonna stash it in the 3D printer toolbox with all the other 3D printer spare parts.)

Now that I have 2 working motherboards I think I'm going to try loading the version of Marlin onto the printer that was developed for the Wanhao D6 printer.  That way if I totally dork up the download I've still got a working motherboard that I can plug in.

The original Wanhao controls never did impress me.  And their main info screen leaves a LOT to be desired, like ANY usable status info on the printer.  I got spoiled by Marlin on my Prusa I3 clone.  The Monoprice main screen doesn't tell you JACK.  No temperatures, no feed-rates, no Z location, no NUFFIN!!!  They don't even give you any reliable information about where you are at in the print, just a very vague count down clock.  It counts down the estimated time remaining in hours left to print completion.  When the estimated time goes under an hour it counts down the minutes left, and that's about all that screen is good for.  Any other information that you want you have to dig out from the various sub-menus.

Don

Brass_Machine:
Glad to hear you got it sorted Don!

Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version