The Shop > CNC

3D Printer problems - Monoprice/Wanhao D6

<< < (2/3) > >>

ddmckee54:
Other than the under-sized relay, there really isn't anything wrong with the motherboard.  I'm only running a single extruder and I'm satisfied with the print quality that I was getting.  If I can fix the relay problem, other than the cost of the factory replacement board, I'd have no problem running the Wanhao motherboard.

I MAY have found a fix tor the relay, too early yet to tell for sure.  I'm talking with a supplier in Texas that has a DC output SSR rated at 15 amps with 5VDC control, at least that's the way the datasheet reads. IF they are available in small quantities, and IF Wanhao only used the NO contact on the existing relay, it should be a functional fit.  Even if it doesn't fit on the PCB.

Don

mc:
A quick search on eBay has lots of SSRs which will work from a 5V input.

The only issue with using a SSR, is they're far more likely to fail short circuit than a conventional relay.
I can't remember what I was planning on using one for, but a couple people far more knowledgeable about them than me, advised me a contactor would be a better option for anything where short circuits would be bad.

Off course, an SSR will be an easier fit as it'll avoid any issues with increased coil current.

WeldingRod:
Interesting!  Closed loop steppers!?!
Has anyone actually used the bigtreetech hardware?  Price is interesting, and I've been thinking about moving up from pre-old-school hardware...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mc:

--- Quote from: WeldingRod on March 12, 2020, 10:03:56 PM ---Interesting!  Closed loop steppers!?!
Has anyone actually used the bigtreetech hardware?  Price is interesting, and I've been thinking about moving up from pre-old-school hardware...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

I never noticed the closed loop stepper motors. I had noticed the mention of closed loop on the some of the boards, but never paid any attention to it.
The issue with using magnetic encoders, is they're not likely to increase accuracy. Magnetic encoders have quite a bit of dither, so you're probably not going to gain much improvement over open loop microstepping.
They will however have the benefit of things stopping automatically, should a motor stall for any reason.

I'm waiting for one of BigTreeTechs E3 boards with the embedded stepper drivers to arrive. I did um and arr over getting the DIP version, but the embedded version uses the latest drivers, whereas the DIP version comes with the slightly older driver. From what I've seen the latest drivers have basic stall detection, so you can configure your printer to home without using switches, by just stalling at the end of travel.

The BTT boards seem to get good reviews and lots of recommendations online. I suspect the big reason for that, is they are a good combined unit, and in the case of Ender 3 owners, available as a simple direct swap replacement.

picclock:
@ddmckee54
Is this the relay for the heated bed ? If so it should be fairly easy to replace. Post a picture, relay and board, I may even have one.

I have just scrapped my old prusa printer, which I made from bits and part kit. Basically its too old and worn out. The z axis nuts failed  2 weeks ago, just no threads left and heavily worn threaded rod. Then about a week ago, halfway through printing the magic smoke escaped. Looks like the ramps board failed and took the 2560 board with it. So I have just ordered an ender 3 pro. Which I will then mod up to make it as the prusa.

The heated beds are a pain on all of these, and using high current low voltage is a bad way to go. On my scrap printer I went through heater boards and uneven heating until I decided enough was enough. I scrapped the whole prusa bit and replaced it with a flat sheet of aluminium, and used a mains powered self adhesive silicon pad heater.
The turning off and on was done with a Solid State Relay which is optically isolated. The ramps board then only switches a mA. With resistive loads these last forever, and I suspect that the new machine will have the same
 treatment.

Best Regards

picclock

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version