Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Earth and Moon

<< < (2/5) > >>

PekkaNF:

--- Quote from: BillTodd on May 07, 2019, 10:49:31 AM ---8.7m away  . should fit on my front lawn  and puzzle the locals for a while .

--- End quote ---

Very good! Hope that curious ones will connect the dots.

That is really cool.

https://tomroelandts.com/articles/earth-moon-system-to-scale

Pekka

BillTodd:
I've been wanting to put together a scale solar system for a few years now.  The governors of the local park sounded keen but seemed to find an increasing number of obstacles to put in my way without trying in anyway to help.

I may try again with a different park (nearer the school so I may get a better response) . It'll take the whole length of the park plus most of the length of the school road to fit in all the planets if I use the 300mm ball as the sun.

BillTodd:
I thought of a couple of ways to machine the moon sphere :

First thought was using a boring bar in vertical mill with part at an angle in a dividing head  - but my boring heads are too small to swing the 80 - 100 mm necessary for the trick to work.

In the end I decided to adapt the horizontal mill into a ball turner using a rotary table and a cheap Soba boring head.

Holding the work was a puzzle,  but simply turning  short int30 register on one end and holding the part directly onto the spindle with a 12mm draw bar worked out perfectly.

I'm having fun and games with chatter ATM (it's not the best rotary table ever made) but I've still cot a couple of mm to remove from the diameter so I'll play some more tomorrow.

BillTodd:
Solved the chatter problem with a piece of ground and honed high speed steel . Then lashed-up a 'power feed' for the rotary table 'cos it was difficult to turn slow and consistently.

The result was better than expected, so i couldn't resist applying some grey scotchbrite, elbow grease and T-Cut ...

I'll leave it on the machine for the moment while i work out how to mount it and what to do with the south-pole.

PekkaNF:
That looks very nice.

OT: Tell me more about that PSU. Barrety pack and some sort of voltage controller?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version