Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Earth and Moon

<< < (3/5) > >>

BillTodd:

--- Quote from: PekkaNF on May 12, 2019, 09:42:49 AM ---That looks very nice.

OT: Tell me more about that PSU. Barrety pack and some sort of voltage controller?

--- End quote ---

Ta  :)

It's a useful little battery powered supply  made from a 'Ruiden' (? - search ebay for 50v 5A psu) Chinese made power supply module (cheap and very good) in a di-cast box. Inside is a  step-up converter (250 Chinese watts!) so 18v from the battery will give up to 50v out if required. On the back, is a home-made  DeWalt 18v battery adapter  (carved from a piece of nylon)  and a XLR plug for and external psu (old laptop supply).

WeldingRod:
I saw the display; I thought those were step down supplies!  Is there also a step up brick?

A super sneaky idea!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

awemawson:
Now Bill, I understand that the Earth is not a true sphere, but is rather 'squashed flat' at the poles, but I don't know about the Moon. Should your models actually BE  spheres, or do they need a session under my 60 ton press ?

Nice work by the way   :bow: :thumbup:

BillTodd:

--- Quote from: WeldingRod on May 12, 2019, 10:06:44 AM ---I saw the display; I thought those were step down supplies!  Is there also a step up brick?

A super sneaky idea!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

Yes another cheap chinese module . It can be switched in when necessary  . very handy for testing 24v stuff.

BillTodd:

--- Quote from: awemawson on May 12, 2019, 10:07:17 AM ---Now Bill, I understand that the Earth is not a true sphere, but is rather 'squashed flat' at the poles, but I don't know about the Moon. Should your models actually BE  spheres, or do they need a session under my 60 ton press ?

Nice work by the way   :bow: :thumbup:

--- End quote ---

:smart: The earth is only about 20km out of "round"   (radius) at my scale that's not that far off from the machined tolerances and well within the current condition of the ball (the boss decided to re-enact the rolling stone scne from Raiders of the lost ark by bowling it down the loading ramp  :Doh:) .  For comparison, the 100km of our atmosphere would be only 2.3mm thick.

The moon is even 'rounder' and definitely rounder than my ball  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version