The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

Broken CNC milling machine

<< < (2/4) > >>

AdeV:
Mutter grumble...  :(

So - replaced all the caps  :thumbup: cleaned up the boards  :thumbup: returned and re-wired  :thumbup: and things lit up kinda like they should do  :clap: - but no spindle action  :scratch:

When I powered up this time, the first thing the machine requested I do was replace the buffer batteries... so - whilst I had it all powered up, I did exactly that: 3 shiny new Duracells to replace the ones which are 8 years past their "best before" date  :clap:. And now the damn thing has lost all its parameters & switched to German! Argh! It's not a disaster, I have the parameters saved on the computer, but buggered if I know how to switch it into English until I find the manuals. Annoyingly, I think the spindle problem MAY be the phases are out of order in the plug - this is the first time I've tried to use it (well, excluding the time it caught fire a few weeks ago), and I recall I had to switch wires in the plugs of both the normal mill and the lathe, in order to fix a phase difference between my old & new workshops...

So... once I work up the Round Tuits to figure out the parameter re-load... I'll have a go with the phase wires the other way around. Oh, and try to figure out why the shiny new batteries have decided not to work properly.

TBH, I'm getting closer to think it's time to re-fit this mill with some updated electronics/controller.

awemawson:
Parameter 92 for most early Heidenhains

AdeV:
Hi Andrew -

I discovered that earlier, reading a post on the CNC Zone forum + downloading the TNC151 service manual. It's hardly obvious about the setting!

I suspect I'll have to type them all in this time, as I can't find my serial cable, or the laptop with the TNC Server program on it (!), so that should keep me busy for an hour or so tomorrow!

awemawson:
TNC server is downloadable from Heidenhain or I can send you a copy

The cable is straightforward and again I can send you details, and if you've lost your back up there are default values for most Interact versions floating about on the web.

AdeV:
Thanks Andrew - I've got copies of the software floating about somewhere... the cable, well, I think I have enough D-subs to build another one, if not, it's no big deal, I can buy the bits readily enough.

So last night I printed the parameters out, and this afternoon I typed them all in... Couldn't get any useful response from the machine... so I powercycled it "just in case". Back to German!  :loco: Typed the parameters (all 263 of them!) again... this time I got it to home in, so progress! Went for a spindle start, and CLACK! Tripped breakers everywhere.  :bang: Switched it on again... German again!  :bang:

The batteries I've put in all test good, so I'm not sure why it's having such a hard time with them. I reckon I've got another 2 or maybe 3 parameter-typing sessions left in me before I lose my rag... so I've come up to the office for a think and a :coffee:

Now... I do recall this machine being particularly hard on breakers, I had it on a "C" type at the old place (i.e. it'll take a substantial surge over-current before it trips), whereas it's on a "B" breaker now, which won't help. Plus, in my efforts to get life out of it, I've turned all the knobs to 11  :lol: so maximum ramp, maximum stab, maximum current limit.... so that might be causing some issues  :zap: For my next parametric session, I'll try turning it all down again & see where we go. Also I need to dig out a laptop to plug into it, if I don't have to type the parameters every time, I can have a few more goes at getting it working  :thumbup:

Anyway... I think we're nearly there, just need to get everything warmed up properly and the pentagram the exact right shape, fingers crossed "just so", and the old girl will breathe again!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version