The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Racal RA17 re-born : A trip down Memory Lane

<< < (2/12) > >>

PekkaNF:
May I suggest soft building styrofoam sheet between boxes or inside the first box. Bubblewrap work very well on lightweight objects, but not so well with heavy pointed behemont.

Once I needed to ship a designer glass picher to Denmark, I build a cradle out of styroxfoam with hot wire cutter and glued some ply wood stringers tactically to keep the whole thing together and designed it to be easy to unstall with few wood screws wrapped over red tape and note to say "remove screws under red tape". It was greatly appreciated: I got the message that before reading the note big tools were carried to table:)

I don't know how much extra it cost there to send it "Fragile, this side up and no gargo atop of it". Recommed screwing the device on slightly larger subframe/pallet, that will protect it from shifting.

Tilt and schok indicators are not that expensive and seem to put some extra care in parcel handling.

awemawson:
Thanks Pekka, yes the foam sheet is already to hand  :thumbup:

I always have a slight hesitation marking things as fragile etc suspecting that some oafs use it as an invitation to bounce things !

Hopefully this 'outward' journey is less critical than the 'return' when it's all been set up properly.

I've just been reading the maintenance manual, and although I've done this sort of thing before when I had the right kit, I'm glad I decided to outsource it  :clap:

Too large to upload but it's here:

http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/archive/1979_RA17_Operating_and_Maintenance_Manual.pdf

PekkaNF:
Here you pay extra fees on "Fragile" and "this side up" etc. and they mark them.

If I mark something similar and don't pay, they will probably play elephant poolo with forklifts with it. Good packing and ruggerizing is good, but I like to hide that inside the carboard box that has some "crumple zone", because if it looks too sturdy, it will end up under everything and with my luck someone will palce a pallet full of anchors or anvils atop of it.

Pekka

Pete W.:
I remember the RA17 but by reputation only, it was an equipment to lust after.  I started with an R1155 and later acquired a Hallicrafters 'Sky Rider Defiant', I think it was labelled 'SX24'.  Octal-based valves ('toobes') and about the same age as me but it worked well!!  Many years later, I met a Radio Amateur who lived in Wiltshire and had every model of Hallicrafters communications receiver!  I didn't visit him for that reason - I sold him a Specto cine projector to complete his other collection!!!  It was a Specto 'Analytic', 16 mm and capable of 16 fps, 2 fps or stop!!

The main relic I have from my Amateur Radio days is a Trio (aka 'Kenwood' ) R1000 receiver.  It has developed a fault in storage - I don't have time to repair it myself and haven't yet found anyone else I'd trust with the job!!

At one stage in my career, I used to make occasional visits to the 'Admiralty Surface Weapons Establishment'.  The people I visited there were very clever - funny how it's the really clever ones who are usually the ones who are generously helpful.  This was before the Scientific Civil Service was privatised.  There was a dedicated turn right lane in the road outside the establshment's main gate.  The letters 'ASWE' were painted on the road surface of that lane to indicate its purpose.

That road inscription was updated when the establishment was renamed 'Admiralty Radar & Signals Establishment'.
I believe those letters actually lasted two or three days!   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D 

seadog:
I was watching "The World is not Enough" last night. I'm pretty sure there were a pair of RA17s in the scene where M's locator beacon is picked up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version