The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Racal RA17 re-born : A trip down Memory Lane

<< < (3/12) > >>

awemawson:
Sadly a lot got bought up as film props. A while back, a large organisation that shall remain nameless (or I'd have to shoot you) disposed of lots of them when they replaced them with the later synthesiser models. 18 months later they were trying to buy them back as the performance was no better but the reliability was atrocious !

So the bubble wrapping having arrived, I set to pack up the RA17 for it's journey to Scotland.

First I sealed off the chassis with green plastic corrugated sheeting that is used to let milk bottles sit on a pallet (Handy having a milk maid as a friend  :ddb:
)

Then I taped thick expanded polystyrene sheeting on all surfaces and a triple layer on the front. (Expanded sheeting recycled from that Portakabin roof that I replaced). Then numerous layers of the bubble wrap were put on before laying into the crate.

Once settled on the pallet floor (which is close boarded) I tightly packed more expanded polystyrene around it so there was (I hope) no possibility of it sliding about) before putting the lid on and banding it down with my ratchet strapper.

Due for collection tomorrow.

seadog:
I guess it stands a fighting chance of arriving in one piece  :D

awemawson:
Well the packaging seems to have worked, in that the RA17 has arrived in Scotland and is on the repair bench, opened up for a first investigation.

There are one or two wiring oddities that have been applied over the years and will be removed, for instance that bit of white co-ax shouldn't be there - it runs from the input to the 40 Mhz filter to an external socket that was originally the 100 kHz i/f output. Also the terminal strip that takes outputs for the audio and the one that interfaces to the optional low frequency converter (RA37 or RA137) has been altered and will be returned to original.

Just as well, as I've just sourced an RA137A-1 which is currently in transit to me from deepest Spain  :bugeye:

. . . updates will follow

seadog:
Hoping to do some LF DXing, Andrew?  :lol:

awemawson:
Yes those submarines in the South Atlantic had better watch out  :clap:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version