Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

DRO for Warco Major mill

<< < (2/10) > >>

BillTodd:
The only broken scale  I' ve replaced ( as opposed to many failed ones) was on a bp mill and that had the scale on the rear of the table.  It seems more vulnerable there than it looks. we've several xyz mills with scales on the front that have been ok.

PekkaNF:

--- Quote from: tom osselton on December 30, 2018, 03:44:32 PM ---I have a craftex mill that I put a dro on from Dro Pro’s. I went with a 4 axis and can use the quill by combining the quill and z axis using one readout if I choose to. Mine has the mag strip on the back and I made brackets for the side of the machine.

--- End quote ---

Thank you Tom. Looks like really solid bracket. Looks like you have the X-axis scale right behind of the table....very much the same way I envisioned assembling mine. Do you have any advise on that style assembly?

--- Quote from: BillTodd on December 30, 2018, 04:43:44 PM ---The only broken scale  I' ve replaced ( as opposed to many failed ones) was on a bp mill and that had the scale on the rear of the table.  It seems more vulnerable there than it looks. we've several xyz mills with scales on the front that have been ok.

--- End quote ---

Thank you Bill. That is something to think over, I might think that the scale is more vulnerable on front - operator errors i.e. my butter fingers comes to mind----like adjusting the table stops with magnetic tool and poking the scale accidentally

I like the mechanical table stops on X-axis, not extremely attractive mechanically, but seems to work. I was thinking of keeping it, because sometimes it is pretty handy (used it couple of times allready). This is the main reason I thought of putting the X-axis magnetic scale somewhere else than on front of the table.

The original tape rule "scale" on the front is pretty bad, barely adequate to verify while counting cranks of the handle.

Pekka

chipenter:
I fitted dro's to my Warco minor by brackets on the end face of the table with clearance for the centre stop , and replacing the lock levers with grub screws , but still have the use of the adjustable end stops , the Z axis scale reads 92.5 thaow per revolution ( I have no idea how that works ) .

tom osselton:
The x axis wasn’t bad installing as it’s all on a flat surface you do lose some machining area and it’s not just the scale but the way covers too in my case 1/8 rubber so when it folds up there’s a 1/4” added but hasn’t affected anything I do.
I’d put it on the back and try it and see what you think, worse case scenario you could change it which would take maybe 1 hour.

WeldingRod:
Here's a super compact magnetic tape installation on my hardinge cross slide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version