Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

DRO for Warco Major mill

<< < (3/10) > >>

PekkaNF:

--- Quote from: WeldingRod on January 01, 2019, 05:05:58 PM ---Here's a super compact magnetic tape installation on my hardinge cross slide.

--- End quote ---

That surely is super compact and looks like read head has a cover that should keep the swarf away. Looks a little out in the wind location and you probably don't have a habit of putting a magnetic stand ant that side of the cross slide.

Pekka

PekkaNF:
Disassembled the table and saddle. Taper gibs looks fine and threaded spindle nuts are cast iron.

Need to make some measurements to verify results, but looks like the easies way is to do hang the scales outside of the machine.

X-axis scale could fit right behind of the table.

Y-axis has more freedom and there are more possibilities. Several places, it could be fit nearly, or it almost could be hiden out of harm's way - and many places that it would be pretty crampped installation.

Traditional course of action would be to fit the magnetic tape onto plinth (cast, tapered side) and attach the read head into Y-slide (saddle). Mecahnically easy, but would need stand offs for the scale spar to keep it out of the plinth (and dripping oil, coolant, swarf) and the read head would be in the moving part.

Thinking of making a mount into saddle and hang the tape face down (i.e. attach the tape into moving part, under the table - mostly) and the read head mount into plinth. Need few more measurement to verify if this is a good plan.

Pekka

PekkaNF:
Did a little mockup for both X-axis tape options.

Pic 1: Permanent marker pen (left) where magnetic tape would come if I want it out of the way. Ballpoint pen (right) if I want to hang the tape behind of the table.

Pic2: This would be the easy option: Measurement behind of the table. Hardly any machining to Warco mill parts. Could use supplied parts to mount the magnetic scale. Mounting the reader head would be easy, could use supplied hardware or make simple mount.

Pic3: IF want to mount the magnetic scale inside the table (as in pic 1), the reader head needs to be recessed into saddle. Position needs to be 10 mm down and into machined surface from the place it is lying in the picture. Dove tail comes into way with straight endmill. This needs a bit special endmill with thinned shank or small T-grove end-mill make it. Therefore this will be not my prefered method, unless I need all the movement range in Y-axis (and therefore can't mount the scale behind the table).

Pekka

BillTodd:
Pekka,

while you have the Yaxis apart, check the flatness and fit of the Y nut to the saddle  . I found that this interface was a source of backlash in my rollernut conversion.

PekkaNF:

--- Quote from: BillTodd on January 04, 2019, 04:39:30 AM ---Pekka,

while you have the Yaxis apart, check the flatness and fit of the Y nut to the saddle  . I found that this interface was a source of backlash in my rollernut conversion.

--- End quote ---

Thank you. I will check that.

I noticed that all of the threaded spindle nuts and bearings are mounted onto painted cast iron. Not the normal industrial practice.

One thing that baffles me that that ground way surfaces are flaked lightly, probably to retain oil, but mounting surfaces are pretty rough. Also the taper gibs seems to be very agresively scraped on the way side (but that part of the way itself is not flaked....). The gibs are unfinished on the other other side, couple of deep scores, I flatten with file, just to knock burr off.

I am also eyeballing it to see if it would benefit from way lubrication points, way oil seems to stick onto surface, but I have used plenty. Maybe a little less would be more.

Pekka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version