Author Topic: Fog Misting  (Read 3734 times)

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
Fog Misting
« on: September 18, 2018, 04:19:28 PM »
Well look what arrived today:

It is super quiet 52 dB claimed, I got 59 which is pd quiet.

Not cheap but I hope ye still get what you pay for.

Question: What do I add to water for the fog/mist?

Somehow I bought the mister and the compressor without knowing what soluble oil to use!  is it standard white water oil?

What dilution for a fog system.m Di I need to wear a respirator or use a vacuum extractor?

MTIA

Will
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline PK

Re: Fog Misting
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 06:49:39 PM »
That looks better than my setup, which uses one of these

Offline Will_D

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 05:46:00 AM »
What oil do you use in the water?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 06:50:43 AM »
Pardon my ignorance, but, other than making fog, what do you use a fog mister FOR ?

Why do you need fog - I'm missing something here  :scratch: We have many low mists here across the fields in  the early morning, can I gather some up and send them to you :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PK

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 07:02:18 AM »
Andrew, you may be mistaking cutting mist for machinists fog.
Cutting mist is made by dispersing droplets of soluble oil (or its synthetic equivalent)  at a tool.
Machinists fog is made by attempting to dissolve the operator in alcohol.

Still.... Bottled mist.... You might be onto something there...

Offline PK

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 07:04:07 AM »
Will, I use whatever cutting fluid I happen to have on hand. We're probably talking about the same thing, but my set up is less of a fog and more of a spitter... I prefer it as there's less to breath in. I'll go take some snaps.

Offline PK

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 08:01:01 AM »
Pics of:
The coolant tank. All of the air comes into this tank, most of it just comes straight out of it. But the small amount of back pressure is used to force coolant to the nozzle assembly.
My current mister. It's OK, that valve is very touchy..
The one I'm going to plumb in next. It has pointer needle valves and a filter and I found these really strong mag bases.....
I couldn't find a pic of the few nozzle assemblies that I have made. They basically looked like the US made fogbuster units..

Offline Will_D

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 08:09:17 AM »
Pardon my ignorance, but, other than making fog, what do you use a fog mister FOR ?

Why do you need fog - I'm missing something here  :scratch: We have many low mists here across the fields in  the early morning, can I gather some up and send them to you :lol:
Its a cooling/blow chips away set up for a mill or lathe. Compressed air picks up a white water coolant and creates a fog of droplets that cool and lubricate the tool and workpiece. It is said to be less messy than just using white water.

Main gubbins looks like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hilitand-Coolant-Schmierungs-Drilling-Abk%C3%BChlungs/dp/B0192XS41W/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1537358872&sr=8-4-fkmr2&keywords=cnc+fog+mister

Just need compressed air and a reservoir of white water.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 10:16:27 AM »
I thought that perhaps the pair of you were having raves, and the fog was part of the decorations & mystique !

Once very many years ago my youngest daughter insisted on capturing fog in a bottle as we were driving over a high mountain range in Spain. Inevitably she was most dissapointed when it condensed into nothing later on. Mind you, that's exactly what happened to the boyfriend that the other daughter was mooning over all that holiday - condensed into nothing - but then he was a drip  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 10:54:58 AM »
PK, did you make that bottom unit? If so I would love to see how you made the needle assemblies.
I need to make a fogbuster clone, just 1 valve. The usual air valves are all wrong direction, that don't like stuff going the opposite direction at all. I want the droplets, not a fog. And it will need only 10-15 psi at low volume, like an airbrush compressor volume is adequate.

Gerrit

Offline rowbare

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 11:47:52 AM »
Why not build a mistless sprayer instead? Your lungs and everything in your shop will thank you. Search google for diy fogbuster and you will find more than enough information to build your own. It is well described in US Patent 5390854  (now expired) https://patents.google.com/patent/US5390854A/en?oq=5390854.

bob

Offline chipenter

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 03:06:05 PM »
The idea with the fogbuster is that it is not a mist that can be inhaled by the machinist , but a fog of droplets at lower pressure than a mist spray , standard coolant and air to cool and clear the chips .
Jeff

Offline PK

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 05:30:08 PM »
Why not build a mistless sprayer instead? Your lungs and everything in your shop will thank you. Search google for diy fogbuster and you will find more than enough information to build your own. It is well described in US Patent 5390854  (now expired) https://patents.google.com/patent/US5390854A/en?oq=5390854.
Bob, that's basically what all mine are. The small amount of pressure on the reservoir forces coolant drips out of the tip where they are en-trained in the airflow and spat at the tool.