The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

An Encounter with a Surgical Operating Microscope.

<< < (3/5) > >>

Pete W.:
Andrew, I didn't reply to your point about the connector.

It's an obsolete German component.  I haven't been able to identify it.

I have some more photos of it dismantled but they come later in the saga!!

As near as I can tell, the contacts are close to size 16.

There will now be a pause in my postings while I attempt to produce a tidy and legible circuit diagram (aka 'schematic') of the Control Unit. 

awemawson:
The reason I mention it is because I think that I recognise it as being the same as on one of my Heidenhain touch probes, or at least the same series.

I managed to source a suitable socket for it a few years back but can't find any photos to confirm

Pete W.:
Hi there, again, Andrew,

Here's another photo of the connector.

The half-shell fits on to the main part of the connector and is retained by a very slim thrust washer and by the screw-jacking collar.  Then the outlet shroud screws onto the threaded portion of the connector body, in the process securing the flexible strain relief tail.

That thread is 0.7 mm pitch (or maybe 0.75 mm pitch, I forget).  The original outlet shroud is a moulding which I couldn't duplicate.  So I turned up a new shroud from a piece of acrylic, that seemed the most suitable of the materials available to me.  I'd never turned an internal thread before, I took it slowly and it fits quite well considering the male threaded part of the metal connector body is bent out of line!  It's neat but not gaudy!!!

That connector is five-way - the connector that's on the cable from the Pedal Unit is a twelve-way.  That was OK but I'll be writing some more about that cable in a later post. 

PeterE:
To my eyes it looks very much like a standard DIN-connector. An older version of this f ex. https://www.ecvv.com/product/4569845.html

BR

/Peter

awemawson:
Sadly not the one that I had in mind, which was far better engineered and cost a fortune !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version