The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Hydrovane Compressor Blows A Main Seal

<< < (2/4) > >>

awemawson:
That's a mighty expensive top hose Norman - do I recall that you have a Discovery?  They are far cheaper than that on eBay  :bugeye:

If it's any consolation my Hyster H2.5HL Fork Lift forward clutch failed a couple of weeks ago. Parts just over £1000 and labour (including collection and delivery - it weighs about 3 tons) another £1000. OK the parts included both forward and reverse clutch packs, brake shoes, brake cables and an exhaust.

NormanV:
I won't be going back to that garage with my Discovery. A top hose should only cost £35 plus fitting. My nearest Landrover dealer is 50 miles away. C'est la vie!

philf:

--- Quote from: awemawson on June 05, 2018, 01:01:52 PM ---This is where the fun started - just need to remove two counter sink 6 mm x 20 mm  socket cap screws and pull the old seal out. One was fine, but the other had rounded off faces to it's hex socket, and no way would an allen key turn off one because the socket rounded.

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't use either countersunk or button headed socket screws out of choice. The sockets are one size down and shallower than their normal socket head counterparts.

I once used M6 countersunk socket screws on the bearing cap of a milling spindle I'd built. I did a trial assembly and a couple of minutes later tried to take it apart and couldn't believe that one wouldn't budge and the socket rounded - I too had to drill the head off.

Many's the time I've had to use a hacksaw to put a screwdriver slot in a button headed socket screw to get it out.

Torx heads are a different matter - a pity they're not as easy to find.

Phil.

velocette:
Hi Andrew
Just curious do you use a synthetic oil in your machine.
Great piece of machinery and quiet running and with regular some what expensive servicing will give many years of use.

Eric

awemawson:
I don't know what the oil specification is Eric, as I have always bought a 'service kit' - the remains of the oil is still on the shelf from last time in an anonymous red bottle and is red coloured.

Just taken delivery of those expensive bits - impressive fast delivery but I'll have to curb my enthusiasm as we have company for lunch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version