The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Hydrovane Compressor Blows A Main Seal

<< < (3/4) > >>

awemawson:
. . . what is less impressive is that they have forgotten to put the oil in the parcel  :bang:

OK in post tonight so maybe tomorrow  :scratch:

(The oil in the picture below is the remnants from my last service on this machine)

kayzed1:
Lots of counter sink 6 mm screws on modern motor cycles Andrew, what i do is hammer in the next size up Torx and unscrew,
next failed yet i buy the cheap torx sets from fleabay.
Lyn.

pycoed:
Torx bits are my go-to method also :beer: Haven't had to drill one for ages...

vtsteam:
Sorry that happened to you Norman.

awemawson:
The oil arrived today, so I put it all back together - no pictures as there seems little point - just look above in reverse  :ddb:

The expensive seal looks all fine and dandy, but in essence all it is is a pair of seals mounted back to back in a housing - if I could find suitable seals I could refurbish the old one but they are not a standard size, having a 20 mm bore and a 31.5 mm o/d. However the housing is 35 mm o/d, and 20 mm bore x 35 mm o/d is a standard so I expect originally they didn't use a housing  :scratch:

So what was the result ?

Well initially, horror of horrors I had oil leaking from the new seal  :bang: First inflation of the tank quite a big leak. Second and third inflation's the leak was very considerably reduced, and by the forth inflation there was no leak.

I can only assume that the new seal has bedded in to the slightly worn seal surfaces on the shaft. Interestingly it was only leaking when rotating, and not at all with the shaft stationary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version