The Shop > Our Shop

Thin sheetmetal folding, bending cutting.

<< < (4/4)

PekkaNF:
I bought tmen 2:nd hand as parallels, one is pretty straight, other is wavy about 0,01 mm. Seller said they used them for setups on the mill.

Now I'm looking at them and they have threaded holes on the middle and look remarkably much like blades on swing beam sheet metal cuters. I have been googling.

I have seen some paper roll splitters and their blade looks a lot like traditional quiljotine blade on paper/plastics cutters. The steel press type cutters (Guiljotines) have pretty obtuse angle, wherreas manual curved shears have pretty acute angle in comparison.

Finger brake press looks on small size pretty straight forward to do, on the other hand they are pretty afordable too.

Looks like I will be splitting metal sheets into more manageable sizes with manual sheet metal nibbler, like this:

Shearing very thin metal cleanly is a little hit and miss...sometimes good normal scissors work really well on very thin metal, specially on aluminium and brass shim stock and then I have had good results with quality pelican shears on 0,7 mm car body steel plate. But shears will bend the offcut and longer straight cuts then to have a little jagged edge, which is easy to file on thicker plate, but proverbial on 0,4 mm tin plate. There I want one clean cut, without burr and without folding/twisting.

I used Finnish made manual bench shear on shim plate, so far it is my bet, if I can find one in reasonable price/condition. New ones are pretty expensive.
https://www.malmintera.fi/kapa-leikkurit.htm

So simple it hurts. The upper blade is curved and cuts easy, design is such that straight and curved cuts are possible, but downside is that offcut is curved. Almost needs to be rolled straight. And it's pricey.

I'll buy few hand tools and see which one buggs me most....I'm pretty sure it is cutting.

Pekka

PekkaNF:
Got yesterday three more sheets (500x1000mm):
0,5 mm and 0,7 mm aluminium
0,5 mm copper

I haven't got any more bending or cutting tools. Had plan to see one 3-in-1 12" multi tool, but have been to busy at the work to make any shops that are of any distance. I have got some couraging messages, they actually might work.

There are few things I don't quite understand....

1. Cutting. If I want to avoid distortion and edge should be clean, which sort of cutter would be good? Bench shears seem to curve the offcut pretty much.

Another dimenssion on cuttig is clearance between blades, read that 2-3% of material thickness is pretty close to correct one. That is not much on 0,2 - 0,7 mm materials.

2: Been trying to figure what is the fundamental difference (and ecological nieche) between press brake and pan brake? There seem to be press brakes models that have fingers.

Pan brake can do over 90 degree bends, whereas press brake seems to be at it's best at 90 degrees. Both can be used to make small boxes....

Pekka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version