The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Rebuilding A Grotty Chicken Shed

<< < (2/12) > >>

Eugene:
Andrew,

Been there, done that, and didn't think it was worth the journey.

When I'd finished mine (bit bigger than yorn)  I stood back, still didn't like it and put it into a farm sale, then used the proceeds to buy some Tanalised timber to make something smaller, neater and lighter.

One tip for the wood thats in contact with the soil and water; put a layer of 1/4" ish plastic material underneath, it makes a huge difference to longevity. I first did that with some kennels about fifteen years back, and they're still as good as new. The base was Tanalised though, so that's obviously helped. The latest gazebo / workshop is the same.

Kennel base ...

Workshop .....

Eug

Pete W.:
Hi there, Andrew,

There's something quietly satisfying about your photo showing the real carpentry bench.  I bet you can chop out mortices on that without it flexing more than an odd micron or two! 

awemawson:
Yes Pete, genuine Ex School workshop complete with chewing gum stuck under the top  :lol:

So today's job - get some Creosote ordered. Much to my surprise my local farm supply place was no more expensive than ordering it on line - usually they are a good 25% if not more, more expensive. So a quick trip to Rye (20 mile round trip) produced a 25 litre drum (£58 inc VAT) and back home to put it on.

I'd intended to up end the timbers and soak the end grain in a bucket, but the sheer volume made that impractical so I dug out my sprayer. This is the type that you see road gangs spraying tar emulsion to seal the edges of new work. 5 Litre tank and a hand pump like a garden sprayer on steroids.

OK empty the 'Creosote Substitute' that was in it, fill with the genuine stuff, and off we go . .. until it blocks  :bang:  A bit of 'back flushing' with an airline unblocked it and off we go . . . until it blocks. Obviously some junk in the tank. Never mind, press on, get the job finished then sort it out.

Creosote back into it's drum, a litre of red diesel in the tank, much bubbling and spurting as the airline did it's stuff and we are good to go. Pump it up, suddenly no resistance to the pump, piston has come off the plunger  :bang:

Simple pull apart, and re-assemble and I 'think' it's ok for next time. Simple 5 minute job turns into a couple of hours and a major clean up - still it's done and will take a couple of days for it to soak in and dry.

awemawson:

--- Quote from: Eugene on April 09, 2018, 04:18:19 AM ---Andrew,

Been there, done that, and didn't think it was worth the journey.

When I'd finished mine (bit bigger than yorn)  I stood back, still didn't like it and put it into a farm sale, then used the proceeds to buy some Tanalised timber to make something smaller, neater and lighter.

One tip for the wood thats in contact with the soil and water; put a layer of 1/4" ish plastic material underneath, it makes a huge difference to longevity. I first did that with some kennels about fifteen years back, and they're still as good as new. The base was Tanalised though, so that's obviously helped. The latest gazebo / workshop is the same.

--- End quote ---

Eugene,

It's going back on the wheels and they are probably going to be sat on flagstones, so it should be ok as is I hope

DaveS:
An idea for a colour scheme :bugeye:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version