Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Floating reamer holder

<< < (3/3)

PekkaNF:
I have done some drawings - doodles and many parts are clear, BUT having a little trouble making my mind over interchangeable adaptor sleeves.

Very much considering using parallel MT1 and MT2 adaptor sleeves. Tempted to choose ONE diameter for MT sleeves and ER collets. Only trivial question seems to be choosing one inch diamter or 25 mm diameter, but looks like I have to split order over several shipments (which is no big deal in UK/US, but here if I order something from UK it is 20€ or so). I don't want to use MT2 to ER adapter, because I learned that mass here is not friend with small reamers.

1: Suggestions on shop that I can order all parallel sleeve adaptors (MT1, MT2, ER20 or ER25) on one go

2: Are the adaptor sleeves generally ground outside consentric with MT-cavity and end dimple? My cunning plan is to grind 1" MT adaptor outside straight and to 25 mm diameter between centres if I can't source 1" ER holder.

Pekka

Roger B:
Difficult questions but don't forget that you can clamp the 'working end' of an adaptor onto a mandrel to grind the 'fixing end'. Another thought is that as it is a floating holder the concentricity of the holders is not so important.
The picture shows clamping a 4 jaw independent chuck onto the lathe flange backwards so I could bore it out to fit.

PekkaNF:
I was first thinkking that in floating reamer application a little exccenttricity does not matter much. It is a little relative ofcource...the moment that "straghtens" the reamer is pretty damn small, therefore mass of the moving parts and minimum amount of friction is a good thing on this application.

Another reason is that I have very few dependable measuremet instruments. I probably would end up using these parallel MT sleeves on measuremet of tools too, there paraellism of MT-cavity and outer shell is a good thing.

Plan "A" is to order 1" parts, clock them and if they don't look good enenough I'm going to stick drill shank (that has centering dimple at the end) and use the dimple a the end of the MT parallel adapter to grind OD.

Goingin to order some parts this weekend. Most of the parts will come from ARC-eurotrade, my usuall suspect but the postage is killing, therefore I usually wait until I have reasonable amount in order.

Pekka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version