Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Floating reamer holder

<< < (2/3) > >>

PekkaNF:
Thank you

I like many features of your design.

I like the ER-collet feature, I need that (need MT and MT2 taper holders too)

I like that it can be used for threading, both taps and dies. I considered this feature as a separate device. This is a novel idea.

I was wondering that three spring arrangement. Now your explanation makes it pretty clear, it's just some spring function and no tilt&balance stuff there - the holes on carrier perimeter are for tommy-bar! Doh! But why is the spring force acting that way? Separating the pieces and creating a little lost movement that way on forward motion?

Are there some other attachment or features? i see that there is groove on that extension part (tubular part with a flange). Typically it would keep the part from rotating. But you use tommy-bar to prevent rotation. So my guess is that the groove could have a stop and simply prevent head from accidental dropping?

I enjoy a lot when I can follow the rationale of the design.

Pekka

cwelkie:
Thanks Pekka
Yes the holes on the carrier perimeter are for a Tommy Bar.

The springs and brass "tension pads" and the depth of the holes they fit into are sized so there is tension on the flange and very little play forward and back.  Something around 10 thou.

The groove on the tubular part with the flange works with a key to keep the flange piece from rotating in the MT3 arbour.  I'm sure it would all work without it but felt it was a good idea to include.  There is no stop but that would be a good addition ... I need to be mindful when handling it off the lathe.

At this point there aren't any other attachments but left room in the storage container for another head.  Perhaps an ER32 version or a small die holder.
Charlie

Roger B:
Hello Pekka,

My pictures are embedded, but you apparently have to be a member of MEM to see then. I started off looking at floating reamer holders for smaller holes, 1.5 - 2 mm. I found the Hemingway version but felt it was too big. I also started on an own design with swinging links (attached) but I think it would have required some centering springs. Charlie has explained his version and I have attached the picture that go with reply #3 the Clarkson version.
I also found details of a Swiss version (attached) which in the end I purchased.

http://batzberg-manufaktur.ch/documents/Floating%20Reamer%20Holder.pdf

I carried out a series of experiments with different initial drill sizes and different reamer feed rates which are documented in the MEM thread. I obtained the manufacturers data for the reamers I was using which resulted in much higher speeds and lower feed rates than I started with.

Jo:
:bugeye:

I hadn't washed the dirt off my fingers in those photo's either.  :wack:

Jo

PekkaNF:
Thank you. That is a great help.

The testing of small hole reaming was most informative as well.

Pekka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version