Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Camlock chucks

<< < (3/7) > >>

chipenter:
I have used both ring and plates but without the holes , the ring must not toutch the bore of the chuck , a quick test for the jaws is to lightly grip a piece of round hss in the chuck and feel iff it rattles .

mattinker:

--- Quote from: sparky961 on October 29, 2017, 07:34:16 PM ---a
--- Quote from: mattinker on October 29, 2017, 08:15:41 AM ---The idea is to make three blocks that fit between the jaws so that the chuck can be closed tight and still allow grinding of what are usually the clamping surfaces. the holes and slots allow a little spring.

--- End quote ---

Excellent tidbit.  I've seen it done with a ring in the back, but the ring gets in the way of most chucks.  This method wouldn't get in the way at all.  I'm assuming the idea is to turn it SLOW to avoid throwing the blocks.

--- End quote ---

Sparky,
I never had a block "throw", remember, they are clamped in by the jaws!

Cheers, Matthew

RotarySMP:
The ISO 702-2 norm for the spindle nose has incredibly tight tolerances. Only 0.008mm (three tenths for fans of a base 12 system) tolerance field on the major diameter of the taper, which is a point in space you can't actually measure.  I had a thread discussion on this, and the way to gauge it is supposed to be a air gauge, but that will be just as difficult to machine accurately.

google "iso 702 download" there is link halfway down the page to a pdf download here on madmodder.
Mark

sparky961:

--- Quote from: mattinker on October 30, 2017, 03:46:39 AM ---I never had a block "throw", remember, they are clamped in by the jaws!

--- End quote ---

Yes, but the direction of centrifugal force is only countered by the friction between the blocks and the faces of the jaws, from what I'm seeing.  It seems that if you had a little too much spring built in, or too light a touch in tightening things up, it might launch one.

awemawson:
It's a tried and tested method that's been in use for over a century ( like most things to do with lathes !)

To get good results you don't want light clamping anyway as the jaw teeth need to be in firm contact with the flanks of the scroll as they would be in normal use to get the same alignment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version