Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Sandblasting gun air nozzle

<< < (2/3) > >>

vtsteam:
Ed, this forum is about making things. Even if cheaper, easier to buy.

Hence the name.

:proj:

Ed ke6bnl:
then make the cheap ceramic nozzles fit your blast gun.

AdeV:
The nozzle I am referring to is one like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401343384009

Not the ceramic nozzle which sticks out of the end of the gun...

The nozzle as above causes a low-pressure region inside the barrel of the gun which pulls the blasting media up the pipe. This also abrades the nozzle causing it to, eventually, hole, which then tries to blow the sand back down the pipe again.... with predictable results.

That particular nozzle is ludicrously expensive... apparently cheap ones can be had for £5.

vtsteam:
Ade, looking forward to your experiment!

To go back to your original question, I don't know why brass is used for that in the present gun. A couple of dubious guesses would be that some sandblasting uses might require that no iron (from the inner nozzle) reach the sandblasted surface for contamination reasons, or that brass doesn't rust from vac condensation, sand moisture (or gun storage) or that it's easy to machine a fine finish on it. The freedom from rust might be the most likely of the above, since the inside of the nozzle could get scaled up, where no medium (occasionally) hits it, and that's the part that needs to be smooth.

Brass seems to be universally used as jets and nozzles in carburetors (on my mind since I just rebuilt one on a Ford 3000 tractor for a farmer/friend) -- probably again for rust/pitting reasons, smooth finish, and non-seizing properties for removal.

Bluechip:

--- Quote from: AdeV on June 29, 2017, 10:30:37 AM ---The nozzle I am referring to is one like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401343384009

Not the ceramic nozzle which sticks out of the end of the gun...

The nozzle as above causes a low-pressure region inside the barrel of the gun which pulls the blasting media up the pipe. This also abrades the nozzle causing it to, eventually, hole, which then tries to blow the sand back down the pipe again.... with predictable results.

That particular nozzle is ludicrously expensive... apparently cheap ones can be had for £5.

--- End quote ---

Ade

When I had my Guyson Bead Blaster the nozzles were hard steel and used to wear out where the bead hit the side as you say. I used to make my own from mild steel 'cos they were a lot cheaper.  :beer: Not so durable. Can't see why brass should be better.

I once made one from delrin ( well polyacetal ) and it seemed to last reasonably well for the reason you mentioned with rubber..

Not sure whether that one is overly expensive, I seem to remember the Guyson item was far from cheap ...  :scratch: for some reason.

This was in the early '80's.

Dave.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version