The Shop > CNC

Which CAD/CAM to learn 3D design and use 3D printer and CNC mill

<< < (2/12) > >>

PekkaNF:
How good is fusion 360 with standard parts library? Does it comes ready with (metric) fasteners and other bucket parts, or do you need to import from suppliers?

How does it handles DIN parts like (taper) pins, circlips and such?

Is it easy on import vendor parts like linear rails?

Really silly question, but in micro stone age I spent too much time "designing" headers, connectors and such to circuit lay-out program.

Pekka

efrench:
It doesn't have a standard parts library.  It does have most standard metric and imperial threads. You can import directly from McMaster-Carr or from a slew of other companies: http://autodesk-fusion.partcommunity.com/3d-cad-models/ 

It can import over 20 different file formats.  Step files work the best for me.  Large STL files can be a problem.  It can handle up to 50,000 facets in STL files which isn't a lot if you're doing a lot of organic shapes.

I haven't had a need for taper pins or circlips, but I think they would be pretty trivial to model.

David Jupp:
For DIN or other standard parts, try Traceparts as a good starting point.

PekkaNF:
Thank you very much. This did clear things up considerably.

I wonder how is it smart to build libraries, probably smart thing is to have several and well organized. Like one for fasteners, other for DIN-parts, other for standard materials etc.

Relating to that....supose a metric assembly needs non recurrent imperial standard parts and imperial surface model part. Does standard part goes into standard part library and alien surface model is another "part"?

Just thinking that I hear often swearing because assembly has been imported, but it is missing some vital parts (often hydraulic cylinders, motors and such). Not so much problem to me, but I just want to know how to start right.

Pekka

PPRINT:
Pekka, libraries are a good idea to help organize...especially in the early stages of learning CAD. 

I have learned that a really well thought out naming convention helps as well.  Make sure to document how you name your parts so you can go find a special widget that you only use once a year.  Surprisingly easy to forget what something is called.  Also find a place to store the vendor name and part number if possible.  That helps track down parts when it is time to buy.

The software I use at work is data base driven so all of my files are accessible at the same time, but I am able to sort through multiple filters to home in on files I want to select from without seeing other files.

Rob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version