Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

Lathe Tools from Oil Hardening Steel

<< < (2/3) > >>

Lew_Merrick_PE:
What you Brits call silver steel is called tool steel here in the States.  It (here, at least) is available in rounds, square, and rectangular shapes with fair distribution.

DeanDK:

--- Quote from: Joules on May 10, 2017, 10:08:10 AM ---I machine from silver steel rod, then hand figure depending on whats needed.  If its a form tool I will drill through the rod and work round the hole to form a radius tool, or more holes for something more complex.   I use silver steel as it's what I have to hand, not got any gauge plate.  I make press tools from silver steel to use in the arbour press, and they are oil hardened.

A little off topic, but the tools are machined and oil hardened (10W-30 motor oil).  I take stainless tig wire and heat to red let it cool naturally so its soft.  I can roughly bend the shape with my fingers then size the ring in the press tool, that helps work harden the ring a little.  It's used in some bespoke parts I make and sell.  I do a batch of 25 rings at a time, the tool has made a few hundred parts now.  So you're not just limited to lathe tools.

--- End quote ---
:thumbup: That is great. I believe that will come in handy for me in the not so distance future for making other tools. Thanks for sharing

--- Quote from: tom osselton on May 10, 2017, 05:14:51 PM ---Nice video thanks!

--- End quote ---

Thanks man

--- Quote from: Lew_Merrick_PE on May 10, 2017, 05:50:01 PM ---What you Brits call silver steel is called tool steel here in the States.  It (here, at least) is available in rounds, square, and rectangular shapes with fair distribution.

--- End quote ---

I'm in Australia and call it Silver Steel, but we are the Brits criminal cousins haha..

Interesting, do you also call it drill rod as well? I actually thought it was. Well that is what I have been describing it in the past  :doh:

Lew_Merrick_PE:

--- Quote from: DeanDK on May 10, 2017, 09:21:04 PM ---Interesting, do you also call it drill rod as well? I actually thought it was. Well that is what I have been describing it in the past  :doh:

--- End quote ---

Here in the States, at least, drill rod is round bar tool steel.

awemawson:
So what do you make square drills  from Lew  :lol:

efrench:

--- Quote from: awemawson on May 11, 2017, 11:20:49 AM ---So what do you make square drills  from Lew  :lol:

--- End quote ---

Square may be a little hard, but flat stock is used to make drills.  Holtzopffel's five volumes show the tools in use in the 1800's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version