Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

Lathe Tools from Oil Hardening Steel

<< < (3/3)

Lew_Merrick_PE:

--- Quote from: awemawson on May 11, 2017, 11:20:49 AM ---So what do you make square drills  from Lew  :lol:

--- End quote ---

Regardless of the use, I call-out and order it as tool steel (per AISI specification.

vtsteam:
DeanDK, drill rod is called drill rod here, too.  :beer:

sparky961:
On the drawings I see daily, it's referred to as O1.  There are tool steels with other designations that we use as well: A2, D2, H13.  Of course, everyone here also knows that when you say "Drill Rod", you're generally meaning O1.

O1 is common and readily available in lots of different shapes here.  It isn't the nicest stuff to harden with a torch, as it has the tendency to warp after quenching even if you're careful.  This may be fixed with tempering, but for our uses we don't bother with that step.  I've noticed a very slight size increase after hardening most of the time, but this wouldn't be of concern in a cutting tool.

vtsteam:
Drill rod is drill rod. It is round and comes in oil hardening and water hardening varieties.

I've ordered and used lots of water hardening drill rod over the last 15 years, and have plenty on hand now..

Lew_Merrick_PE:

--- Quote from: vtsteam on May 12, 2017, 12:59:31 PM ---Drill rod is drill rod. It is round and comes in oil hardening and water hardening varieties.
--- End quote ---

It also comes in Air Hardening varieties (including Shock Resisting).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version