The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

Siemens micromaster 420

<< < (4/5) > >>

awemawson:
For a depolarised electrolytic I'm not sure (*) that an incandescent lamp will reduce the current sufficiently to prevent damage - a depolarised electrolytic will present a very low resistance and you want a controlled current of a few milliamps - just maybe a few tens of milliamps. A cold filament of an incandescent lamp also presents a very low resistance until it heats up where upon the resistance increases. The damage to the capacitor is done well before that happens  :bugeye:

(* read that as I'm certain that it won't !)

appletree:
Hi John the comment about florescent and LED was for a laugh , obviously no good, might try a couple of daffodils in series (Bluechip) as they are plentiful just now failing that tulips will be along soon. I have some of those nice gold anodised power resistors somewhere 100 ohms or so, if only I can remember where.

Phil 

John Rudd:
Andrew,
You are correct....( as usual.... :scratch:).....
I would normally use said bulb if I were testing a power supply to limit the current and prevent blowing it up if there was a fault....a common use in servicing brown goods....where a variac isnt available...I've also made good use when repairing inverters, limiting the power available and preventing the things from destroying themselves...

In this instance where a smaller current is needed, then my approach is inappropriate....I apologise for giving misleading information.... :coffee:

Bluechip:
OK had a stab at re-creating the schematic. It's screwed together from essentially 3 bits:

[1] The full-wave doubler giving some 136V DC .and 68V DC

[2] A string of zeners to set the o/p voltage of the pass transistor.

[3] A 10mA current limiter, 0-20mA meter and a switch to discharge the cap.

NB 

In accordance with my lifelong habit of not getting anything error free, the transistors are MJE 13005, not MJ 13005.

The 2 resistors with *** may need small changes as the load regulation of the transformer may give a higher o/p voltage.

If anyone builds it,

[1] Do the doubler first and check the volts are fairly near, although they won't be precisely the same.

[2] Make the Zener circuit, then set VR1 for 20V on the 16V range. [ you'll see why in a bit ]. Measure from Q1 emitter to 0V. Check the other voltages, make sure you ain't got a cranky Zener. They should all read about 4V high.

[3] Make the rest. Put a short circuit instead of the cap. and set VR2 to give 10mA on the meter.

[4] With a 10R resistor instead of cap. tweak VR1 again to read 16V from the -ve to +ve test terminals on the 16V range. Then check the other ranges.

The -ve test terminal actually sits at some +4V because of the Q2 limiter action, hence the 4 extra volts in [2].

Poke a GOOD biggish cap. in and set up. [ Not in that order ]  :thumbup:

The meter should whip up to 10mA and stay there. When the cap's charged up it will swiftly drop to zero.

As this contraption is sort-of linear you can make a fair stab at finding out what a cap. really is.

CV = It ...  :thumbup:

Capacitance x Volts = Amps. x Seconds

Or:

C = ( I x t ) / V

So:

Suppose we have   25V, Amps. = 0.01, time to when the needle starts to drop,  6 seconds.

We have (6 x 0.01) / 25  = about 2400uF.

Have done this with caps. marked 56,000 uF, 25V and then with my Peak capacitance meter and it's pretty accurate.

D.

EDIT S1 is a 1P 12W rotary switch, stopped off @ posn. 8 ..

S2 on mine is a  ON [ON] 2P 2W  just flick it to discharge the cap.  :thumbup:  DVM should drop to 0V, then cycle cap. again if it's not been used for a long time. The 'slow' drop from 10ma to 0 gets sharper as cap. improves.

appletree:
Thanks for posting the circuit Dave, I shan't be using it this time, but I am sure someone will find it useful.

Phil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version