Author Topic: Music in the workshop  (Read 9449 times)

Offline old-biker-uk

• Taunton, Somerset
    • An Old Biker's Stuff
Music in the workshop
« on: May 16, 2009, 03:41:18 PM »
OK I'll start:
Here are a few of my favourites. (Ipod played thro surplus PC speakers)
Bob Dylan; Márta Sebestyén; Ali Farka Toure; The Albion Band; Van Morrison; MJQ; Bela Fleck; Tinaretulvi Ensemble;
Randy Newman; Jimmy Giuffre; Ion Laceanu; John Martyn; Deaf Shepherd; Dire Straits; Nina Simone; Nicolae Pirvu;
Planxty; Gerry Mulligan; Youssou N'Dour; Sting; Dave Brubeck; Salif Keita; Steve Forbert;
To name but a few.
Oh. I forgot to mention Brother Ellias & His Zig Zag Jive Flutes !
Mark
What you say and what people hear are not always the same thing.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Music in the workshop
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 04:04:32 PM »
ewwww, nice thread!

Pantera - Walk
NoFX - linoleum
Capdown - Ska Wars
Guns and Roses - Welcome to the Jungle and Paradise City
Steve Via - For the love of god, The Audience is Listening
Joe Satriani - the Extremest
Jose Gonsarlez - Heartbeats
Jack Johnson - Sitting waiting wishing
Bella Fleck and the Fleck tones feat. Vic Wooten- stomping grounds
Bare Naked Ladies - One Week
M-Manson - Sweet Dreams
RadioHead - Creep, Street Spirit
Damien Rice - Cannon ball

I like music....

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 04:14:22 PM »
Hey Old-Biker - in absolute ignorance, I was so enthralled by the topic that I failed to actually read your suggestions throughly - you also included Bella Fleck and the fleck tones - aren`t they amazing. Have you heard my suggestion - Bella Fleck featuring Victor Wooten - Stomping Grounds? It is amazing!

Here is a link but to be honest it is different to my version on mp3 - this one below is much longer but hey ho...

part 1

&feature=related  part 2

My complete CD version is only about 4 minutes in total and is a live recording from somewhere - it is fab!

Chris

Offline klank

• Sunny East Devon
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 04:21:40 PM »
And I'll follow, as I started this - on the Devon side of the border -

My favourites played on an Acer MP-330 hooked up to a home brewed pre-amp and 150W power amp with Wharfedale speakers (yup - I am going deaf - played trombone in a brass band for too long) - and who am I to deny my neighbours the chance to hear good music - such as :-

Soul/Tamla Motown; RnB; Stones (You Can't Always Get what You Want is my favourite all time); Reggae/Ska - esp. Bob Marley; Blues - esp. Clapton, BB King, Albert King, Bo Diddley, Big Mama Thornton, Billy Ray Vaughan etc.; Jazz/Swing/Big Band; Moody Blues; Pink Floyd; Skateboard Music (Greenday etc.) - oh, and Jump Around by house of Pain.
My sad secret is I used to help run a mobile disco in the late'60's - "The Solid Gold Road Show" - with my brother - around the "College Circuit" of SW London. Gold velour flairs, purple satin shirt, Sgt. Pepper style fireman's tunic with double row of gold buttons and tinted granny glasses - cool or what??  :lol:

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 06:16:47 PM »
I'm more into heavy metal.

Led Zeplin - Whole lotta Love
Pink Floyd - brick in the wall
Meatloaf - most of his but the bastich drank my Newkie brown when we were doing the generators at one of the  rock shows.
TOS - 22 x 84" between centres
Guns and Roses - sweet child of mine.
Beaver - 10 x 54" CNC mill.
Aerosmith - sweet emotion

Anyone else here use last fm ?

http://www.last.fm

Open it up on the shop PC, sign up, no cost and select a playlist and it will then sort out other albums of the same type, the more you select the better it has of second guessing you.

It will play all day, no adverts etc better than the crap radio nowadays with 10,000 adverts for industrial injury and double glazing.

JS.
John Stevenson

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 07:04:22 PM »
Oh boy this is going to be fun... I am into bands that make most people look at me funny when I mention their names...   :scratch:

VNV Nation
The Cruxshadows
Neuroactive
Sisters of Mercy
Covenant
Abney Park
Apoptygma Berserk
Beborn Benton
Wolfshiem
Icon of Coil
Neurotic Fish
Dead Can Dance
New Order
Depeche Mode

I also listen to Classical and Opera  :headbang:

And can't go without Dean Martin And Frank Sinatra!

Eric
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 07:45:47 PM by Brass_Machine »
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 07:37:27 PM »
Music, music, music..... Now there is a subject!

I was waiting for the thread to start after reading the earlier question from Peter....

Thanks Ralph - maybe not on this thread, but I have oft time wondered what music model engineers listen to when in the shop?
What made you think I liked music in my shop Peter? You been reading all the old threads?

Well anyway, an answer...  I like all manor of stuff.... A full list would take forever so I'll list some favourites and see where we go from there...

From a young age as with many people I suppose my dads music collection influenced me...

Queen.
Dire Straits. (Mark Knopflers solo stuff too)
Status Quo.... Oh yeh  :headbang:  Got Quo?

Then we get into the stuff I found through my life...

Guns N' Roses.
Metalica.
Thin Lizzy. (Gary Moores solo stuff too)
Aerosmith.
Pearl Jam.
The Cult.
Lenny Kravitz.
Slade.
The Who.
Jimi Hendrix.
Fleetwood mac.
Chris Rea.
Eric Clapton.
Foreigner.
Thunder.
Whitsnake.
Deep Purple.
.... Am I sounding like a rock nut?  :headbang:

Well.... Try this lot....
Supertramp.
The police.
The Beatles.
Paul simon (and stuff with Art Garfunkel too)
Sheryl Crow.
Spin Doctors.
Stereophonics.
Tracy Chapman.
10cc.
Phil collins (Yes his stuff is good!)
Genisis.
Greenday.
Billy Joel.
Eagles.
Elbow.
The Levellers.

And the mellow side of things....

Pink Floyd.
Mike Oldfield. (got 12 albums of mellow tastic stuff!)
Vangelis.
Moby.
Faithless.
Ben E. King.
Newton Faulkner.
Ed Allenyne-Johnson.
Rob Costlow.
Andy Martin.
John Denver.
Bob Dylan.
Solas.
Otis Redding.
Sam Cook.
BB King.
Al Green.

Fun stuff...
Monty Python sings.
Stephen Lynch.
Kevin Bloody Wilson.

Erm well.... There are many more.... I think it'd bore the hell out of many people so I'll not list anymore of them?!
Got to add I don't much care for most forms of rap and hip hop....And I hate the way they have re-branded/stolen the term for R&B!  :hammer:   Just the way it is I suppose, you can't like everything!

Much of the stuff I listen to is mainstream, you hear it somewhere and like it etc, but there are a few who I have heard live and just couldn't believe my ears!

I love live music played well, be it covers in a pub or original stuff at a concert type venue... Live music played well is fantastic  :headbang:

After all that, what is the stuff I listen to in the shop?

All of the Above when my Ipod is on random... But if I'm "in the zone" it tends to be instrumental stuff.... Ed Allenyne-johnson, Rob Costlow, Mike Oldfield, Andy martin, Vangelis and the likes.

This thread I like.... It gives you not only an insight into what others like but the oportunity to search out some of that music and see what it is like yourself  :thumbup:

Chris, The video you posted was quite enjoyable, Victor Wooten is a name I have heard before and watched/listened to many of the videos on the net involving him.... Very good bass player he is too!
Never seen Bela Fleck before... I'll investigate further!

Mark,
Randy Newman  :lol:   Short people is played quite often to some friends of mine  ::)  :)

Peter,
I hope your dress sense has improved?   :lol: 
Jump around.... Do you like it because of the Bob & Earl beginning or just because it makes you want to jump around?

Eric.... Your right, your into some odd stuff.... Depeche Mode!!!  :bugeye:
New order are ok, the rest I've never noticed! I'll have some homework out of that lot!!!   :coffee:

Tired now.... Too much typing!!

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 07:44:28 PM »
QUEEN

don't need to say any more  :headbang:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 07:50:07 PM »
QUEEN

don't need to say any more  :headbang:

Even with all the odd music I listen to... I still love Queen. Never got to see them. I did see The Brian May Band though...

Apes and Androids Have been likened to a modern Queen.

Eric
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 10:27:19 AM by Brass_Machine »
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 12:57:27 AM »
Very sad on my part.

Anything after the 70's I tend not to bother with unless I really like the artist. I do enjoy some Queen, love the Moody Blues, and although the biggest lie teller in modern history, Bob Dylan is a hero. Joan Baez, Nana Mouskouri and Melani Safka are all my favourite female artists, with Katie Melua as a more modern one.

As Ralph will tell you, I also like some wierdo stuff, The Tiger Lillies springs to mind.

But opera and classical is my very favourite, with Verdi being at the top of my list.

I have no music in my shop, because I like to hear the machinery singing and telling me what it is doing.

Sad I know, but everyone has their own ways.

John

Offline klank

• Sunny East Devon
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 06:59:58 AM »
What a great collection of bands and composers appearing on here.

A great post, Ralph and some good taste showing through.

Verdi and what about Rossini too John? - lovely.

The only genres absent so far appear to be "Folk and Country" -  :bugeye:  ?possibly because it is a crime against nature, rots your mind, has no place in the civilised world and absolutely no taste?

Jump Around - well spotted Ralph - Bob and Earle "Harlem Shuffle" - one of the all time greats - put it under Tamla/Soul. Jump Around - yup - when I have done something stupid with my tooling under too much power.

I like this because it reminds me of my two sons when they were very little - heavily into "The California Raisins" - anybody remember that cartoon series with classic soul music?
Anyway, when they saw the Raisins they were hooked on soul - and tried all kinds of "Cool Jerk Walking". Harlem Shuffle just made them go ape over it.
Unbeknown to them, when I played the Harlem Shuffle for them, I secretly filmed their Cool Walking on my old video recorder - and locked the tape in a very safe place.

This is a most useful bargaining chip to have as a last ditch reserve when in family negotiations. Especially when they have their mates/girlfriends round. "Want to see some family videos?"

Like you say, current so called "Soul and RnB" is not anything like what it really should be. Most of today's female so called Soul singers suffer from adenoids and have voices like angle grinders running in a bell foundry (as do many female telephone customer service operatives). Now Janice Joplin could wail, but Elkie Brooks and Linda Rondstadt (?spelling?) could really give it some.

For a bit of light relief - Punk - "Jilted John" - musically, a profound piece - so complex in its structure.

Eric - weird stuff - but like,  good karma dude!

Freak out, man and flairs WILL come back.

Peter

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 07:31:19 AM »

Freak out, man and flairs WILL come back.

Peter

??????????? you meant to say they are not current ?????????????

Anyone looked at last.fm yet ?

Got to agree with Bogs though that although I like music in the shop sometimes I want quiet whilst I'm trying to mangle a part to an accuracy of 6 places, like 765,483 inches.

Lately I have been listening to audio books on my Ipod, my truck radio is broken and it's too noisy anyway so the books are a good way to cheer up a long journey.

JS.
John Stevenson

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 07:53:34 AM »
... I still love Queen. Never got to see them.

Not been to a lot of concerts in my life but me n' Mrs CC did go to Tina Turner's last concert a week or so ago ................ Just Brilliant  :headbang:

CC

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 07:55:28 AM »
Well.... Sorry Peter but...
Folk and Country.... Erm, Mike Oldfield is in there, actually classed as folk! What about Bob Dylan? Mike Harding is acctually pretty damn good/funny too!

I do like Jim Croce too... You don't mess around with Jim!  Oh and the Mavericks.... Are they country? As I said listing everything would take ages!

I have a best of the Wurzels album too..... Dunno where that sits?  :lol:

If we all liked the same things it'd be boring!

Yep, John's a fan of the Tiger Lillies....I've got and listened to some of their stuff,  Strange but funny  :thumbup: I've still got a lot to listen to though  :)

Nothing wrong with Katie Melua (cept 9 million bikes!!!.... Couldn't appreciate that one much) I heard her sing acapella.... Fantastic!

Found this when looking for any acapella recordings (couldnt find any  :( )

Well I like it!

Evil! I can't stand it when parents tell your mates/new flames about you as a kid...... But a video of them dancing..... Pure evil!   :lol: 

"Angle grinders running in a bell foundry"..... Are you a Blackadder fan?  :lol:

This thread is a little eye opening :bugeye:

Fun too! :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline websterz

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 08:10:56 AM »

'nuff said!!  :thumbup:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 08:39:16 AM »

Found this when looking for any acapella recordings (couldnt find any  :( )

Ralph.

Sorry to keep harping on about it [ sod it, no I'm not ] but go to http://wwwlast.fm

Type in Acapella in the search list and you get all their tracks.

Go a google on saving last.fm tracks and you will find links on how to do it if you want to save them, or just put the artist into your library and it will play them and others similar.

JS.
John Stevenson

Offline klank

• Sunny East Devon
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 10:21:14 AM »
Just found this - vindicates how great Jilted John is, and a nice honest picture tribute to our esteemed, honest, upright, man-of -the people, and Satesmanlike Prime Minister - GORDON the MORON

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 09:46:50 PM »
My music taste.. is likely about as varied as it comes.... I would think.
I like a very very small amount of older style country.. combined with some few newer specific songs that work for me... Like 455 Rocket by Jodie Messina or however you spell her name.

BUT
99.9 percent of my music taste doesnt involve Country.

I cant actually list bands.. because there are simply too many. But for reference.. EVERY bigger concert that came to central Florida from 1980-1992ish. From Pink Floyd (both showings for Delicate Sound of Thunder) to Every ACDC show.. to ZZ-Top, and everything in between... Moody Blues, Grateful Dead, Talking Heads, Depeche Mode, Billy Idol, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motley Crue, etc etc etc.
Stones, Rush, Scorpions alllof the rock Genre from the early 70s through the early 90s.

On the otier side of the coin... I started listening to what is now called Hip Hop and or rap. I was listening to grand master flash, run dmc, and well.. the whole host of early rap, before it hit the main stream back in the late 70s, early 80s.

I also was a fan of things like Alan Parsons, Kind Crimson, Jeff Beck, Zappa, George Clinton, Parliment.. etc.

My brother gave me a album Autobahn... by Kraftwerk.. and I then proceeded to get all thier stuff.. and have been a fan of electronic music from a variety of sources.

In the very late 80s, early 90s I was DJing at some underground clubs, and DJing parties. I also competed in car stereo contests, and had a large stereo that took me to the Eastern US Nationals in Daytona.
The stereo was a little bass heavy when trimmed out with white noise for a flat curve on the quality test.
Granted when uncorked.. I was pushing 148.7 Decibels. You would get physically ill in the car. Nauseus, blurred vision, and diahreah if in there for more than 5 minutes at full blast. Yeah Dumb I know.. My hearing loss is a testament to that..
It had 2x15" subwoofers with dual voice coils, 4x10" poly subs, 2x1" softdomes, 2x3.5" Graphite highs, 2x10mm tweeters in the defroster vents, and 4x6.5 Coaxials in the front doors. Later on there was a 10" sub under each seat.
All of it powered from a single Orion 225 HCCA competition high current amp. 2x25 Watts, at 4 Ohms load. I ran it mixed mono, and IIRC I had 1/675th of a ohm load. 0 Gague power leads. At full song it pulled 125Amps of current at 14.4 volts.

The DJ setup I used for shows I did (didnt talk often.. mostly music) I used to have in the house.. but it was simply too big. Its in the upstairs of the garage not hooked up...... I consider hooking it up.. but its so big.. its really overkill. And my neighbors have not complained about me machining till 3 or 4AM yet. Playing music loud would likely cross that line.

Music in the garage currently... I have a local rock station playing quietly on a tiny boom box to the left of the lathe. I cant hear it when anything is running.. but its nice between operations.

My #1 source for music when I am working at work, or at my PC in the house.... Pandora.
www.pandora.com
You simply make your own station... Say.. Rolling Stones. And it plays some rolling stones stuff, and music SIMILAR to them. You can also enter a specific song you like, and it will populate that station with songs similar to that one.
SPiN Racing