Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

I needed a 2" collet!!

(1/2) > >>

usn ret:
I was tasked to make 6 press fit bushings with a 1 5/16-12 internal thread. OD 2" flange with a 1 1/5 step turned from 2" dia 2024 alum round stock. No problem, however I still needed to thread internal, not single point, but with a 4 flute tap.  :scratch: :smart: How do I hold the bushings without scuffing the shiny finish.  :thumbup:This is where the 2" collet comes in.  Start with a piece of 3" round from the recycle bin, bore to 1 5/16" ID then step it out to 2" ID 1/2" deep.  Then take to bandsaw and make 1 cut to inside, from inside make 2 additional cuts about .250 deep equally spaced. See pics!!! :D

Cliff :beer:

WOW, it did work!!! :nrocks:

bogstandard:
Very nice work Cliff.  :clap:

Sometimes those split collets can get you right out of deep doodoo.  :thumbup:

John

sbwhart:
Nicely shown Chris  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Home made split collets can be very useful  :thumbup:

What is it your making with it  :scratch:

Stew

usn ret:
Stew,  the shiny bits are press fit,  put them in the freezer for a couple of  hours and they drop in, bushings that go into the back of FF engines.  They plug into the water jacket at the back of the engine where the freeze plugs normally go, and the purple & black fitting is a quick disconnect for water return. A lot better than fiddling with screw clamps on a hot engine. 
As an aside, when I use my lathe and mill, I make chips and generally make a mess.  I see other pics without chips, how does this happen? :scratch:

Cliff :beer:

Darren:
I'll save that one for later, nicely shown  :thumbup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version