The Shop > CNC

About to give up

<< < (5/5)

wagnmkr:
Actually, if you use something like Linux Mint, it isn't nerdy at all anymore. Easier than Windoze, and no pesky updates unless you want them. I have been using it now for nearly a year and don't even know it is there.

Tom

Will_D:

--- Quote from: Will_D on January 26, 2018, 02:16:18 PM ---
Having spent the best part of £2000 quid on this project sure whats another $400 for Mach4 and a decent USB controller??

--- End quote ---

If you think DDCSV is a bit of a minefield of poor user manuals and incomplete/undocumented code then I suggest you investigate using a MACH 4 controller and its mandatory Motion Controller and recommended break-out-boards.

There is no way that MACH 4, Motion Controller and a BoB will give you a turnkey CNC machine.

Its a nightmare of options.

Consider the system as implementeded:

The end to end functionality (i.e. G-Code to end mill movement) of your machine is controlled by two separate pieces of hardware and a PC. Two software programs are running (Mach 4 on a PC) and some FPGA code on the motion controller.

So who is responsible when a "feature" doesn't work. Reading the Forums it soon becomes clear that to fully understand MACH 4 and its controller you need to understand LUA (its macro/scripting language) and the underlying data structures (MACh4Core) that  define your machine and Mach4.

Then you can implement your own M Codes!

You will need to know about things like these:

mcMotionGetAbsPosFract
mcMotionGetBacklashAbs
mcMotionGetBacklashInc
mcMotionGetIncPos

So to date I am not giving up on DDCSV!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version