The Shop > Wood & Stuff

Prompted By Howsitwork Ian

<< < (4/5) > >>

Biggles:
Wood and metal have an attraction in the case of rifle stocks. :coffee:

howsitwork?:
Just got some really nice elm burr from a generous friend!!

Pens and possibly wild edge bowl if I get grave.

Ian

Ginger Nut:
 :Doh: Its so easy to forget engineering started with wood and then came Blacksmith, with out wood we would not have wagon wheels, boats, oh yeh pattern makers who used wood to create the moulds for casting.

The first lathes were wood!!!
The first threads cut were on wood!!
We use wooden mallets, wooden handles on many tools, wooden tool boxes to store engineering tools.

Homes sheds and cars buses and trucks not to forget planes boats and ships engineered all with wood. Do not think for one minuet wood is not used when plastics or metal doesn't exist for without wood decaying we don't get oil, coal, to produce synthetic materials such as oh yeh plastics which comes from petroleum products which comes from crude oil after years of rotten wood matter.

Metal production can not survive without wood.

Ginger Nut:

--- Quote from: howsitwork? on May 07, 2017, 03:17:28 PM ---Just got some really nice elm burr from a generous friend!!

Pens and possibly wild edge bowl if I get grave.

Ian

--- End quote ---

:jaw: now thats worth bragging about Ian. I see a nice 12 platter or a wall clock I hope the thickness is over 1" no matter if its not a shallow platter will still be super.

Ginger Nut:

--- Quote from: awemawson on February 11, 2017, 02:24:20 PM ---It's strange you know, on some forums people feel that they have to denigrate working in wood. I see it as just another material from which to craft what you want  :scratch:

I'm just burning the last of a Yew tree we had to take down a few years back as is was where our new kitchen was going - 200 years old but sadly not a spectacular tree as it had suffered a fire on one side back in the 1980's. Yes it's an amazing wood, with the most spectacular purple colouring running through it - newly cut it looks like freshly butchered steaks  :thumbup:

It grieves me to burn it rather than create some furniture with it, but when we took it down it turned out to be several main growths amalgamated into one, so most was small stuff. I have kept a few of the larger logs for turning, but there wasn't much worth saving.

--- End quote ---

Yew sacrilegious wood burner you  :hammer:

A friend down in Tasmania would send photos of his winter wood pile all Tassie Blackwood and ask what piece I'd like sent up for us main landers this wood is a gem hard wood and they burn it daily. :(

Some years back while on holidays posted on another forum for sale was a gents life long wood storeage. Scented Rosewood by the ton, Australian Red cedar same a few friends and I bought some slabs 2mx1mx50 roughly I and one also bought some rosewood stumps 700/800mm high 300 dia.
Over time the gent whittled down 3 large sheds and 3 small sheds as his health begun to fail. Logs and stumps burnt in a bonfire the last was all sold off along in  package with the home.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version