The Shop > Wood & Stuff

Prompted By Howsitwork Ian

<< < (3/5) > >>

awemawson:
It's strange you know, on some forums people feel that they have to denigrate working in wood. I see it as just another material from which to craft what you want  :scratch:

I'm just burning the last of a Yew tree we had to take down a few years back as is was where our new kitchen was going - 200 years old but sadly not a spectacular tree as it had suffered a fire on one side back in the 1980's. Yes it's an amazing wood, with the most spectacular purple colouring running through it - newly cut it looks like freshly butchered steaks  :thumbup:

It grieves me to burn it rather than create some furniture with it, but when we took it down it turned out to be several main growths amalgamated into one, so most was small stuff. I have kept a few of the larger logs for turning, but there wasn't much worth saving.

DMIOM:

--- Quote from: awemawson on February 11, 2017, 02:24:20 PM ---It's strange you know, on some forums people feel that they have to denigrate working in wood. I see it as just another material from which to craft what you want .....
--- End quote ---
+1

--- Quote ---I'm just burning the last of a Yew tree we had to take down a few years back as is was where our new kitchen was going ...... most was small stuff......
--- End quote ---

Enough to make a longbow?       :proj:

Dave

awemawson:
Sadly not (knot :ddb:) Dave.

Looking at the Yew Tree when standing from the field side, you'd have thought that there would be many suitable branches for bows, and a few decent logs for planking. In the event it was a pile of toot by the time it was felled.

It didn't help that a previous owner had had a bonfire under the tree at some time, so the side facing the house was much reduced and rather ragged as it had caught fire - you'd think he should have known better being a retired London Fireman  :bang:

PK:
Ignoring the artistic and aesthetic aspects of wood for a moment, as an engineering material it can be incredible stuff. If you look at the properties  vs weight of the engineered (laminated) timbers used in construction, they make steel beams look like concrete playdough...

For me though, it's all about the mess. Gimme a greasy stain and a mop and I'll cope. When we occasionally machine timber on the router, the whole place gets dusted. And yes, we have a really good, three phase, extractor and vacuum foot...

awemawson:
Oh yes PK wood work and metal work don't mix. All the wood dust settling on metal working machinery wicks out the oil from slides and bearings and causes havoc.

I've seen several DIY build logs of people wanting to make a 'multi-purpose CNC bed' for wood routing, aluminium milling AND plasma cutting. I can only think that they've not actually been close to any of these processes in real life !

I am very fortunate (*) in that I have been able to build a dedicated wood workshop, so that is where the wood lathe, planer, table saw etc live, as I'm afraid that they are NOT compatible with my metal working machines in the 'proper' workshop

(* after all it was to have space for things like this that prompted me to buy a small farm !)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version