The Shop > Metal Stuff

A small pot belly stove.

<< < (2/4) > >>

angus:
you will find that a heat exchanger may make it worse.... you need the hot gas to creat enough of a draw..i messed up the burn on one of my home made stoves by adding heat sinks to the stove pipe inside the workshop

NeoTech:
Yeah if i understand the regulations right the hot gasses out of the stove should not be higher than 135C, but not lower than 85C (due to moisture and other bad things).. That would mean my heat exchanger cant remove more than  125C from the exhaust without effing up the burn. So started to think maybe a glycole based heat exchanger with heat pipes inside the stove.

Manxmodder:
If the heat exchanger is just to air then it is only a static mass until the fan is turned on.

I had a sump oil heater in a workshop years ago and it had a cross flow tube heat exchanger that worked really effectively but we didn't switch the fan on until the flue pipe had got up to temperature.....OZ.

NeoTech:
So if i make the heat exchanger of say, 1 inch tubes spaced 1 inch apart, and packed about 100 tubes in there and welded a baffel sides with intake and exhaust.. That box would be about as hot as the exit flue pipe after a while? Or well until i switch the fan on.. The exit flue is about 200C when it runs properly. So basicly some kind of thermostat in the flue on the exit side of the exchanger and it could switch the fan on and off as it see fit.

In the end i just wanna dump as much heat into the air of my garage/workshop (old shed with some stuffing in the walls). And being able to put a bunch of logs in there and strangle it before i go indoors.

awemawson:
The Victorians heated Cathedrals and large Churches with cast iron pot belly stoves that had many cast fins on the outside to radiate the heat.

Why not weld some vertical fins on the out side as your heat exchanger - simple and shouldn't interfere with initial combustion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version